Although, I am calling this a side dish, it easily converts to a satisfying main simply by adding your favorite protein. Or leave out the protein and enjoy this as a meatless meal. Your choice!
No matter how you serve this pasta dish, you can bet it will make a splash! With the wonderful combo of creamy butternut squash puree, fragrant sauteed garlic spinach, and the salty goodness of grated Parmesan Cheese, this pasta dish will make a great addition to any meal! Most especially the big one - your Thanksgiving Feast!
This Butternut Squash Orzo Pasta was inspired by my Orzo Pasta with Spinach and Parmesan. Hands down that recipe is the most popular on the blog, and it doesn't surprise me one bit! It is full of flavor, easy-to-make, and versatile too. I couldn't resist putting a new spin on it!
This week my #SundaySupper family is lightening up the holidays, which is why I chose this recipe. It makes a great meatless meal that is light and satisfying, in addition this Butternut Squash Orzo Pasta is a lighter and healthier side dish alternative than say... Sweet Potato Casserole or Au Gratin Potatoes. Not only is it lighter in calories, but it will also sit lighter in your belly making room for all the other yummy goodness that is a Thanksgiving Feast <smile>
Be sure to scroll down and check out all the deliciously lightened up recipes being served up this week by the #SundaySupper family, and stop by and say a great big thanks to our wonderful host, Kathia of Basic N Delicious, for all her hard work in making this event possible! Thanks, Kathia!!
Thank you for visiting! Let's be social! Follow Life Tastes Good on Pinterest | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
Butternut Squash Orzo Pasta #SundaySupper
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 1 cup uncooked orzo pasta
- 14.5 ounces water
- 2 teaspoons chicken base such as Better Than Bouillon
- 1 tablespoon freshly minced garlic
- 1 (5 or 6 ounce) bag of baby spinach
- 1 cup Butternut Squash Puree
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan Cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large skillet, melt 2 tablespoons of butter. Add 1 tablespoon minced garlic and saute for about 30 seconds. Add the baby spinach and a pinch of salt. Saute until wilted. Remove to a plate and set aside until ready to use.
- In the same skillet, melt 2 tablespoons of the butter over mid-high heat and add 1 cup orzo. Stir until lightly browned. Add 14 ounces of water and 2 teaspoons chicken base and bring to a boil. Cover. Reduce heat and simmer for about 15 minutes until the orzo is tender and the liquid is absorbed.
- When the orzo is done add the spinach, 1 cup Butternut Squash Puree, and 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese. Mix well. Give it a taste and add salt and pepper as needed. The Parmesan will add some saltiness to the dish, so be sure to give it a taste to ensure you don't add too much salt! Enjoy!
Prep Time: 10 mins.
Total time: 30 mins.
Tags: Butternut Squash Orzo Pasta, Side, Main, Meatless, Thanksgiving, Butternut Squash Puree, Parmesan Cheese, Spinach, Pasta, Vegetables
Enjoy visiting all of the #SundaySupper family recipes for lightening up the holidays...
- Lightened Up Eggnog by The Redhead Baker
- Low Calorie Pumpkin Pie Malted Milkshake by Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Gruyere Cheese Puffs by Sustainable Dad
- Lighten-up Sausage Rolls by Jane's Adventures in Dinner
- Spaghetti Squash, Pears and Kale with Shrimp by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Lightened Up Cornbread Stuffing by Cindy's Recipes and Writings
- Spicy Eggplant Dip by Cooking Chat
- Carciofi alla Trapanese by Manu's Menu
- Fresh Salmon Carpaccio by Food Lust People Love
- Holiday Beef Tenderloin with Sweet Potatoes, Tomatoes and Corn by Family Foodie
- Mini Mushroom Shepherd’s Pies by Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Grandma's Mac n' Cheese by What Smells So Good?
- Lean Mean Cheeseburger Soup by The Foodie Army Wife
- Roasted Butternut Squash & Chicken Sausage Soup by Hot Momma's Kitchen Chaos
- Lightened-Up Fettuccine Alfredo by Bobbi's Kozy Kitchen
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts by Brunch with Joy
- Butternut Squash Orzo Pasta by Life Tastes Good
- Hearts of Palm, Artichoke, Avocado and Butter Lettuce by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Quick and Easy Sweet Potato by The Educators' Spin On It
- Lentil & Mushroom Stuffing by Foxes Love Lemons
- Almond-Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Broccoli by The Texan New Yorker
- Tangy, Spiced Red Cabbage by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Honey Ginger Glazed Carrots by Ruffles & Truffles
- Shrimp Salad with White Wine Vinaigrette by eating in instead
- Cranberry Orange Glazed Green Beans by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Roasted Garlic Cauliflower Mash by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Green Beans with Rosemary Garlic Butter by Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Mediterranean Lentil Stuffed Delicata Squash by The Little Ferraro Kitchen
- Leaner Green Beans by Noshing With The Nolands
- Spiced Tri-Colored Carrot Salad by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Horiatki Salata by Peaceful Cooking
- Healthier Potluck Broccoli-Cauliflower Salad by The Weekend Gourmet
- Farro Stuffing with Cranberries and Walnuts by The Dinner-Mom
- Roasted Parsnip and Apple Soup by Curious Cuisiniere
- Pumpkin Cheesecake Dip by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Sweet Apple Bites by Mama's Blissful Bites
- Individual Cheesecakes by Nosh My Way
- Light and Luscious Chocolate Cheesecake by A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures
- Pumpkin Pie Pudding by The Life and Loves of Grumpy's Honeybunch
- Healthy Brownie Recipe | Applesauce Brownies by The Perfect Brownie
- Peanut Butter Coconut Mini Bars by Basic N Delicious
- The Blondie Recipe by Wallflour Girl
- Cinnamon Roll Granola Bars by Pies and Plots
- Skinny Ninja Cheesecake by NinjaBaker.com
- Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Pumpkin Blondie by Sue's Nutrition Buzz
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
You might also like....