Monday, July 16, 2012

Orzo Pasta with Spinach and Parmesan

Orzo Pasta with Spinach and Parmesan | by Life Tastes Good #sides #pasta #vegetables I LOVE orzo pasta! It is such a nice change of pace from rice dishes. I'm not such a fan of rice - not the taste, the consistency. I eat it and it's okay, but I prefer to make orzo pasta instead. It's almost like rice, only different. Sadly, Don really loves rice, so I've been trying to convince him Orzo is a better option. Don't get me wrong, he LOVES pasta just not as a rice substitute - he's still a work in progress.

Orzo Pasta with Spinach and Parmesan is super easy, super delicious, and super impressive! It is also very versatile - you can change it up easily to suit your needs.

I like how I can make this dish as is for a delicious side to just about any protein, but we have also enjoyed this orzo pasta dish as a vegetarian entree.

Sauteed mushrooms are a nice addition, as is chicken to have a delicious all-in-one meal!!




Tip: If you are in the market for a good quality set of cookware be sure to check out the Emeril PRO-CLAD Tri-Ply I love this set! When I needed a set that works on my induction, I did a lot of research and settled on this set. It is wonderful and very durable!  It has just about everything you need and is of great quality! It is made by All-Clad, but this is a more affordable version of All-Clad. You get all the quality without the pain in the pocket! When you make a mess in the pan, just be sure to have some Bar Keepers Friend® on hand. That will keep these shiny and new for years upon years!

Orzo Pasta with Spinach and Parmesan

Life Tastes Good
Published 07/16/2012
Orzo Pasta with Spinach and Parmesan

Ingredients

  • 4 tablespoons butter, divided
  • 1 cup uncooked orzo pasta
  • 14.5 ounces water
  • 2 teaspoons chicken base such as Better Than Bouillon
  • 1 tablespoon freshly minced garlic
  • 10 ounces of baby spinach
  • 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
  • salt and pepper to taste

Instructions

  1. Melt 2 tablespoons of the butter in a medium skillet over medium high heat and add 1 cup orzo. Stir until lightly browned. Add 14 ounces of water and 2 teaspoons chicken base and bring to a boil. Cover. Reduce heat and simmer for about 15 minutes until the orzo is tender and the liquid is absorbed.
  2. While the orzo is simmering it is a good time to prepare the spinach. In a large skillet melt 2 tablespoons of butter. Add 1 tablespoon minced garlic and saute for about 30 seconds. Add 10 ounces of baby spinach and a pinch of salt. Saute until wilted. Set aside until orzo is done.
  3. When orzo is done add the spinach and 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese and mix well. Give it a taste and adjust the seasonings as needed. The Parmesan will add some saltiness to the dish, so be sure to give it a taste to ensure you don't add too much salt!
Yield: 4 Servings
Prep Time: 10 mins.
Cook time: 20 mins.
Total time: 30 mins.

recipe inspired by allrecipes.com Orzo with Parmesan and Basil


Here are some other tasty orzo recipes we love - click on the photos to access the recipes!!

Lemon Pepper Shrimp Scampi with Orzo by Grumpy's HoneyBunch




Lemon Pepper Shrimp Scampi with Orzo by Grumpy's HoneyBunch








Garlic Parmesan Orzo by Flavor Mosaic





Garlic Parmesan Orzo Primavera by Flavor Mosaic









Grilled Greek Chicken Thighs by Renee's Kitchen Adventures




Grilled Greek Chicken Thighs with Lemon Parmesan Orzo by Renee's Kitchen Adventures



A few more by Life Tastes Good - You can never have enough orzo recipes <wink>

Sun Dried Tomato Basil Orzo

Garlic and Parmesan Orzo with Fresh Veggies








Serve with Chicken Cordon Bleu


Thank you for visiting! Let's be social! Follow Life Tastes Good on PinterestFacebookTwitterInstagramBloglovin, and Google Plus

51 comments:

  1. Yum yum yum...I ewcently re-introduced myself to orzo. Forgot how much I loved it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Omgosh! I love it! I pick orzo over rice any day!

      Delete
  2. I am going to make this tomorrow for my daughter, but I've never used chicken base and don't know what it is. I looked it up and it seems it can be a powder or paste. What do you use? I just want to make sure I buy the right thing so I don't ruin this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I buy the Better Than Bouillon Chicken Base. It is a paste. You can find that near the chicken broth in your grocery store. Here is their website so you can see what the jars look like http://www.superiortouch.com/retail/products/better-than-bouillon I hope you both enjoy it :)

      Delete
  3. Thank you so much! I just bought it and will be making it in a few hours. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, we just finished it. YUM!! So good. My daughter said this should be one of my staple recipes now. I'm sure I'll mention it on my blog sometime soon. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great! I'm so glad you liked it! It is definitely one I make often! I love your blog and all things vintage too - I'm a new follower :).

      Delete
  5. This looks delicious - but I have a quick question: Do you not cook the orzo in boiling water like you would any other pasta? Am I correct in thinking I cook the orzo in the 2T butter alone? I'll know when it's done by it's light brown color? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Jill! Sorry that was confusing - The rest of the directions are under the photo ;o) I do not cook orzo like traditional pasta, but after you toast it lightly in the butter you add the water and the chicken base - bring to a boil - cover - reduce heat, and cook for about 15 minutes until the liquid is absorbed. Hope that helps! Marion

      Delete
  6. This is so AMAZING. I was extremely and pleasantly surprised. Thank you for the great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you enjoyed it! Thank you so much for stopping by and sharing that - you made my day :) ~Marion

      Delete
  7. Found this on pinterest and tried it tonight. Absolutely delicious. I didn't have chicken base, so i added that new concentrated stock to the water and let it boil. I actually think that i could cut the butter and it would still be divine. I will try that next time as it is definitely a keeper!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you like it! You can absolutely cut the butter, but I recommend subbing in olive oil maybe using 1 tbsp olive oil and 1 tbsp butter to toast the orzo in place of the 2 tbsps of butter and you can do the same when sauteing the spinach. If you don't use enough butter/oil the orzo might stick and won't be as creamy, so it just depends on your preferences. Thanks for stopping by!!

      Delete
  8. Just made this for dinner. It was marvelous! I used generic butter flavored spray (like Pam) to saute' the orzo. I didn't have the chicken base, so I used a 14.5 oz can of chicken broth. No water. I also used the spray for the spinach along with 1 Tbls of "I can't believe it's not butter". It was a bit pasty, not creamy but the taste was sure there. I served it with the "No fail Salmon" from Pinterest. Delish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Hope! I'm glad it turned out for ya! Chicken broth is a fine substitute. I used to use that until I discovered chicken base and now I'm addicted to the stuff haha. So happy you liked it, and I'm going to have to try that salmon!

      Delete
    2. @Hope, I am not here to preach but please avoid using sprays like Pam. They are dangerous to health, I don't mean that lightly. Take care.

      Delete
  9. How many servings is this recipe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tammy, This is about 4 servings. Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  10. Thanks so much for this recipe! I cooked it tonight and it was delicious! I cooked it just as you instructed and paired it with a honey-lime shrimp recipe I also found on Pinterest. Thanks again for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ooohhhhh honey-lime shrimp!! That sounds wonderful! I'm so glad you enjoyed the orzo. Thank you for stopping by to let me know. I so appreciate it! :)

      Delete
    2. I love ORZO and this looks very good and i am going to try it today. As soon as i get off of work i am going to the store to get every thing so i can make it.

      Delete
    3. Thanks for stopping by Delores! I think you'll like it - it is a family fave in our house!! And so easy to make. Enjoy and have a great weekend!

      Delete
  11. Hi - Looks delish :) I am making for a large group -- do you think I can double or even triple the recipe? Can i make ahead of time and heat later?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maureen, thanks for stopping by!! I would recommend making it in batches and then mixing it all together. You can make this ahead of time, however, the consistency suffers a little. I eat it for leftovers all the time and the flavor is still great!

      Delete
  12. Just made this tonight! SO good, and my husband absolutely loved it. I'm going to check out your other recipes now to see what I'm making for dinner tomorrow :) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Addie Mae, Thank you for taking the time to let me know. I'm so glad you and your husband loved it! Enjoy browsing the site and let me know if you have any questions! Thanks again, Marion :)

      Delete
  13. This was absolutely delicious and so simple! My husband loved it and has commented on how good it was several times since then. I used chicken broth to cook the orzo. We do not eat a lot of meat and I served this as an entree with a salad. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. mshight, thank you for stopping by and taking the time to let me know how much you liked it! I love this as an entree and sometimes even add mushrooms (cause I LOVE 'shrooms!). I'm so glad you liked it and chicken broth is a great substitute! I use it sometimes if I have it on hand ;)

      Delete
    2. Tried it tonight with grilled chicken and mushrooms. Sauteed the mushrooms with the garlic and then added the "pre-fab" chicken strips to warm through before adding the spinach on top. Divine!

      Delete

  14. Couldn't kale be used instead of spinach? It would have a little more body and fiber. If you don't have chicken broth, bullion could be used, but remember the the salt content. Olive oil would make a healthier dish with the same result as butter. (nothing like a rehab recipe)

    ReplyDelete
  15. So good! I added basil and used beef broth instead since that is all I had. Still good! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dana, thanks for stopping by! Basil is a great addition! I never thought about using beef broth - thanks for the tip - I'll have to try it that way sometime. So glad you enjoyed it :) ~Marion

      Delete
  16. Bet this would be good with a pinch of nutmeg.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I made this rather than my usual recipe with sun dried tomatoes, and liked it better!!! I paired it with Greek feta burgers and thought I was back in Greece!!! Thanks for this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for taking the time to comment!! You made my day :)! I'm so glad you like this recipe - it is definitely a favorite of ours.

      Delete
  18. Mmmm. This looks awesome. I have had it pinned and plan to make it tonight with sirloin steaks. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! I bet it went great with the steaks! I hope you enjoyed it! ~Marion

      Delete
  19. Pure perfection!!! I followed the recipe with the exception of substituting Asiago for Parmesan. It was so lovely! I did not have to add any salt and pepper. I will make this often!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I'm so glad you enjoyed it, Nikki! Asiago sounds delicious in this. I'll have to try that next time. Thanks so much for stopping by ~Marion

      Delete
    2. Came across this on Pinterest. Cant thank you enough for posting this recipe. Its fool proof and came out delish!!!! Will definitely be making this again and again, it was the perfect side dish for my breaded meat.

      Delete
    3. Jessica, thank you for stopping by. I'm so glad you enjoyed it!! Have a super week! ~Marion

      Delete
  20. I tried this tonight and we loved it. I added shredded chicken to make it a "one pot" meal. My husband and child have declared it a make again recipe!!!! Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anita, I'm so happy it was a hit, and the addition of chicken is a fabulous idea!! Thank you so much for stopping by and letting me know! Have a great weekend ~Marion

      Delete
  21. always a winner ... never get tired of eating this holy yummy food of yours ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. awesome! thank you for stopping by! ~Marion

      Delete
  22. I made this for dinner tonight and it was delicious!! I used feta cheese instead of parmesan. I'm not a big fan of parmesan. We love trying new dishes and this was a big hit. Will make this again, no doubt!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fantastic! So glad you liked it and glad you found a work around for the Parmesan. I love when a recipe can be easily tweaked!! Thanks for stopping by and letting me know! I so appreciate it ~Marion

      Delete
  23. Thanks so much for this recipe! It's fantastic! My husband said that this one is definitely a keeper. I'll have to try it with feta too as Mama Jules suggests above.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy dance!!! I'm so glad, Eleni!! Thank you for stopping by and letting me know! One of the best parts about this recipe is how versatile it is! Definitely play around with different flavors!! Have a great week! ~Marion

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting and sharing your thoughts! Comments are moderated, so I don't miss anything. I like to read each and every one! Please understand I am not able to allow comments with links. Thanks! I hope it's a great day!! ~Marion

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger... >