Our #SundaySupper family is kicking off this holiday weekend and unofficial start to summer fun with recipes showcasing the colors of our nation's symbol of pride and joy. In honor of all our service men and women this Memorial Day, we salute you with our tastiest red, white, and blue treats. Thank you ever so much for your selfless service.
I'd also like to say thanks to DB, aka Foodie Stuntman, of Crazy Foodie Stunts for hosting this week's event, and all of our #SundaySupper participants for always sharing the most creative and delicious recipes. Be sure to scroll down past my recipe for the complete listing of Red, White, and Blue recipes being featured this week.
I packed my patriotic recipe full of sweet, juicy strawberries and plump blueberries. The berries not only bring in the colors of our nation, but they are also relatively low in sugar compared to other fruits. As a matter of fact, strawberries are among the fruit with the lowest amount of sugar! That is why these berries are a great choice when making a lower carb dessert.
Because I was shooting for a lower carb dessert, I made the creamy filling with Mascarpone cheese. It is my go-to when making a lower carb dessert. It has 0 carbs, is creamy, and you can mix it with anything to create a variety of flavors! I love that kind of versatility! For my Red, White, and Blue Parfaits I combined the Mascarpone cheese with sugar free whipped topping. Although the Mascarpone is creamy, it can be a little stiff, so mixing it with the whipped topping loosens it up a bit and makes it just the right consistency to use in these parfaits.
When I was developing this recipe, Don was my official taste tester (as usual). I'm noticing he is getting more and more critical when I ask for his opinion. I'm not sure how I feel about this, but it is definitely good for the recipes!
Although he liked the parfait on the first round of recipe testing, he would have liked the cream to be a wee bit sweeter. As a result, on the 2nd go around I added a tablespoon of melted white chocolate to the Mascarpone/whipped topping mixture and he declared that perfection!
I have to admit, he is right on this one. I have been enjoying a low-carb diet for a couple months now pretty consistently, so I don't have much of a sweet tooth anymore, but the little bit of sweetness from the white chocolate really did elevate the flavor of this dessert to something pretty amazing! The white chocolate obviously adds more carbs to this dessert, so you might want to leave it out. The fruit adds a natural sweetness and was just right for me, but if you find yourself wanting a little more sweetness, you could add your favorite low-carb sweetener to avoid the extra carbs.
Life Tastes Good just like it should with FREE recipes delivered to your inbox - Click here to subscribe
Total time: 15 mins.
Prep Time: 15 mins.
Red White and Blue Parfaits
- 4 ounces Mascarpone cheese, softened to room temperature
- 4 ounces sugar free whipped topping, such as Cool Whip
- 1 tablespoon white chocolate chips
- Fresh strawberries, hulled and diced (about 2 dozen)
- Fresh blueberries (about 1 cup)
- To make the cream, microwave 1 tablespoon of white chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl for about 15 seconds. Stir until melted and add in 4 ounces of Mascarpone cheese. Stir until smooth and then fold in 4 ounces of sugar free whipped topping. Stir gently to combine.
- To assemble your parfaits divide the ingredients equally among 4 serving glasses by adding a tablespoon or two of diced strawberries first and top with a dollop of whipped topping mixture. Add a layer of blueberries and top with a dollop of whipped topping. Add another layer of strawberries and top that with a few blueberries. Garnish with a strawberry dipped in the whipped topping mixture. Continue with remaining ingredients and serving glasses. Serve and enjoy! If you make these up ahead of time, you can just cover them and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Prep Time: 15 mins.
Tags: Red White and Blue Parfaits, Dessert, Holiday, Patriotic, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Fourth of July, Fruit, Whipped Cream, Low Carb
For another easy patriotic recipe, check out my Red, White, and Blue Fruit Tart recipe. Not low carb, but it is easy, delicious, and perfect for holidays :) Click on the picture for the recipe...
Food Using One Color Red Food
- Baby Back Ribs with Roasted Strawberry Barbecue Sauce by Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Baked Tomato Breakfast Cups by Bobbi's Kozy Kitchen
- Red Velvet Milk Shake by Nosh My Way
- Strawberry Meringue Tartlets by What Smells So Good?
- Strawberry Oat Crumble by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Alabama BBQ Sauce by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Blueberry Breakfast Cookies by Pies and Plots
- Blueberry Cheesecake Ice Cream by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Blue Velvet Cupcakes by Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Pickled Shrimp with Pico de Gallo by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Sausage Rougail (Rougail Saucisse) by The Petit Gourmet
- Blueberry Feta Cucumber Salad by Cindy's Recipes and Writings
- Blueberry Pierogi by Curious Cuisiniere
- Berry Berry Celebrations by Momma's Meals
- Berry Filled Firecracker Cupcakes by The Crumby Cupcake
- Berry Patriotic Chia Seed Pudding by Tasting Page
- Easy Chocolate Covered Marshmallows by Palatable Pastime
- Eton Mess by Caroline's Cooking
- Greek Yogurt Parfait Bar by Family Foodie
- Grilled Shrimp, Tomato and Bleu Cheese Flatbread by Our Good Life
- Individual Loaded Red, White, and Blue Salads by The Weekend Gourmet
- Patriotic Cocktail by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Patriotic Panna Cotta by The Freshman Cook
- Red White And Blue Coleslaw by Nik Snacks
- Red White and Blue Parfaits by Life Tastes Good
- Red, White and Blue Cherry Pie by Savory Experiments
- Red, White, and Blue Potato Salad by A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures
- Red, White and Blue Sangria by Food Lust People Love
- Red White and Blue Sundae by Desserts Required
- St. Honore Cake by Jane's Adventures in Dinner
- Strawberry, Blueberry & Raspberry Cheesecake Crumble by Food Done Light
- Tomato Blue Cheese Crostini by Magnolia Days
- Triple Berry Coconut Chia Pudding Parfaits by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Vanilla Pound Cake with Fresh Berries by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Watermelon, Feta & Beet Appetizer by Take A Bite Out of Boca
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.