Our #SundaySupper family is hosting a virtual picnic today, and everyone is invited! Join us, live, tonight on Twitter at 7pm for our virtual picnic and be sure to scroll down for all of the wonderful picnic recipes we are serving up this weekend! Thank you to our wonderful host, T.R. of Gluten Free Crumbley, for all of your hard work and dedication in organizing this event!
Are you a picnic kinda person? I love picnics! I love being outside and enjoying the beautiful weather while sharing a meal with the ones I love the most. Living in Florida, we are able to have picnics year round, although it does get a little uncomfortable in the summer heat.
When Madison was little we would picnic at the beach, in the park, at our local zoo, and even in the backyard. I think our impromptu backyard picnics were my fave! Madison and I would build a "fort" by propping up the kiddie pool with a stick. We were real creative like that haha. We would sit under it and have our sandwiches and some fruit. Oh y'all, I miss those days so much! Here's a very old photo of the two of us enjoying our picnic in the 'fort' :)
Madison is getting ready to graduate college!! I feel so blessed to have been able to watch her grow into a beautiful, kind, accomplished young woman, and I look forward to seeing where this next chapter of her life takes her, but man I'm weepy these days! It always makes me sad to see something end but also excited, at the same time, for the new beginnings. I'm shocked at how quickly college passed. It seems like just yesterday we were moving her into her freshman dorm and sobbing as we drove away leaving her alone in a strange city 5 hours from home!
As difficult as it was, we all survived, and in a little more than a month Madison will be graduating with honors and moving on to a new career in another strange city. While we are visiting for graduation, I think I should plan a picnic in the park (in between my tears) to reminisce old times. These Chicken Salad Sliders would be great to take along as they are easy to make and delicious too!
I like to add a little sweetness to my chicken salad, and grapes have always been my go-to for giving my chicken salad that little extra somethin' somethin'. This is a pretty simple chicken salad recipe, but the flavors work well together and have a nice balance of sweet and salty with a little bit of tang. I prefer to use leftover chicken, however, if you don't have any on hand go ahead and use canned chicken. Canned chicken is a convenience item I use from time to time to make things just a little bit easier. I especially like to avoid cooking in the heat of the summer, so it's nice to keep some on hand for just that!
Chicken Salad Sliders
- 2 cups cooked chicken, shredded
- 1/2 cup celery, sliced
- 1/2 cup seedless grapes, quartered (red or green)
- 1 tablespoon diced onion
- 1 teaspoon fresh dill
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper (or to taste)
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- Spinach leaves or your favorite lettuce
- 6-8 Slider Buns (I used dinner rolls from the bakery)
- In a medium bowl combine 2 cups chicken, 1/2 cup celery, 1/2 cup grapes, 1 tablespoon onion, 1 teaspoon fresh dill, 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, 1/2 cup mayonnaise, and 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice.
- Mix well and give it a taste. Adjust the seasonings to your liking and serve on slider buns with spinach leaves. Enjoy!
Prep Time: 10 mins.
Tags: Chicken Salad, Sliders, Sandwich, Lunch, Picnic, Easy Recipe, Sweet, Grapes, Fruit, Vegetables
As promised, here is a listing of all the #SundaySupper picnic recipes...
- Caprese Skewers by Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Crisp Cucumber Salsa with Southwest Style Chips by Momma's Meals
- French Onion Dip, with Greek Yogurt by Casa de Crews
- Mediterranean Spiced Hummus by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Pepperoni Pinwheels by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Watermelon Salad by annaDishes
- Blackberry Lemonade by The Redhead Baker
- Blueberry Mojito Mocktails by NeighborFood
- Grandma's Stuff by Jane's Adventures in Dinner
- Minty Cardinal Punch by Food Lust People Love
- Pineapple Ginger Lemonade Spiked with Turmeric by Sue's Nutrition Buzz
- Sangria Punch by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Strawberry Pineapple Lemonade by Noshing With The Nolands
- Avocado Sriracha Egg Salad by Rants From My Crazy Kitchen
- Barbecue Ranch Quinoa Chicken Salad by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Boneless Chicken Wings by Nosh My Way
- Burger Ice Cream by Brunch with Joy
- Chicken Salad Sliders by Life Tastes Good
- Spanish tortilla by Caroline's Cooking
- Broccoli & Tomato Pasta Salad by Flour On My Face
- Buffalo Macaroni Salad by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Couscous Veggie Salad with Pesto by Cooking Chat
- Fully Loaded Baked Potato Salad by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Granola Salad by Cindy's Recipes and Writings
- Greek Style Asparagus Salad by Curious Cuisiniere
- No Mayo Slaw with Poppyseed Dressing by Palatable Pastime
- Spiralized Beet and Goat Cheese Salad by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Sweet and Tangy Brussels Coleslaw with Fennel, Chopped Apples and Golden Raisins by Simply Healthy Family
- Barley and Rice Salad by Family Foodie
- Broccoli Salad with Bacon and Dried Cranberries by Food Done Light
- Layered Mason Jar Pasta Salad for Two by The Weekend Gourmet
- Smoked Turkey Salad by Our Good Life
- Spinach Salad with Apples & Pecans in an Apple Balsamic Vinaigrette by Carrie's Experimental Kitchen
- Bacon-Bulleit Brownies by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Fudgey Coca Cola Cake by Recipes Food and Cooking
- Earth Day Cupcakes by Savory Experiments
- Gluten Free Cookie Bars by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Lemon Lime Pound Cake by Vintage Kitchen
- Lemon Yuzu Cookies by NinjaBaker.com
- Mini Lemon Chess Pies by Bobbi's Kozy Kitchen
- No-Bake Cookie Butter Chex Mix Bars by Wallflour Girl
- Peanut Butter Bars by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Peanut Butter Carob Bars by Pies and Plots
- Sourdough Chunk Cookies by What Smells So Good?
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
More of our favorite picnic recipes...