Old Fashioned Potato Salad #SundaySupper

Old Fashioned Potato Salad | by Life Tastes Good is good 'ol summer comfort food y'all! Very satisfying and delicious! #SundaySupper #Picnic #Barbecue
Old Fashioned Potato Salad is good 'ol summer comfort food y'all! There isn't much to this potato salad, but it sure is addicting! I wish I could eat just one bite and stop there, but it's not happening. I could eat a ginormous bowl full of this stuff and call it a day! A perfectly happy day :)

It is completely satisfying all on its own, but it goes great with any kind of barbecue you put it up against! I have served this potato salad with hot dogs, burgers, chicken, ribs, and even just a plain old ham and cheese sandwich! You name it!! It's lip-smacking deeee-licious!

As potato salad goes, this one is kind of plain, but we like it like it like that! Filled to the brim with potatoes, hard boiled eggs, sweet pickle relish, and seasoned to perfection, this potato salad is easy to make and take too. It is great for any summer gathering and a must have on the 4th of July in our house!


Old Fashioned Potato Salad is good 'ol summer comfort food y'all! Very satisfying and delicious! #SundaySupper #Picnic #Barbecue




The ease and versatility of this potato salad makes it a great choice for this weeks #SundaySupper Picnic event hosted by Jane from Jane's Adventures in Dinner. Thanks for hosting, Jane!! No picnic is complete without good old-fashioned potato salad, which is why I chose this recipe.


Thank you for visiting! You can also find Life Tastes Good on


Old Fashioned Potato Salad #SundaySupper

Life Tastes Good
Published 06/29/2014
Old Fashioned Potato Salad #SundaySupper

Ingredients

  • 2 lbs red potatoes with the skin, washed and cut into cubes
  • 3-4 garlic cloves
  • salt and pepper
  • 1/4-1/2 cup mayonnaise
  • 1/4 -1/2 cup sweet pickle relish or diced bread and butter pickles
  • 3-4 hard boiled eggs, chopped
  • onion powder to taste
  • paprika

Instructions

  1. Place the cubed potatoes into a large pot and fill with water to cover. Salt the water generously. I use at least a 1/2 tablespoon of salt. Add 3-4 garlic cloves. Bring the water to a boil and cook until potatoes are just tender, about 5 minutes. If you get them too tender, your potato salad will be mushy, but you might like it like that. I tend to like it on the chunky side like you see in the photos :) Drain the potatoes and run them under cold water to cool them off. Place them in a bowl and put them in the fridge to chill for several hours or overnight. If you are in a pinch for time you can put them in the freezer to speed up the process, but check on them often and remove them when they are chilled.
  2. When potatoes are nicely chilled, add 1/4 to 1/2 cup mayonnaise (or more if you like it really creamy). I don't normally measure out the ingredients when I make this, so please use the measurements as a guideline and make this salad to your liking. And, please, be sure to use real mayonnaise for best results. Gently mix in the mayo to coat the potatoes.
  3. Add in 1/4 to 1/2 cup sweet pickle relish or chopped up bread and butter pickles. Again, add as much or as little as you like. Keep tasting to get it just right. For the pickle relish, I use a homemade relish given to me by a dear friend. I'm not a fan of store bought relish, so if I'm out of my friend's relish, I will cut up sweet bread and butter pickles and use that. It is a good alternative. Please feel free to use your favorite relish/pickles for best results.
  4. Add chopped hard boiled eggs and onion powder to taste. Add salt and pepper to taste and then adjust all the flavors to your liking. Keep tasting and adjusting until you have it just right :). Top with a sprinkling of paprika and chill until ready to serve. Enjoy!
Yield: 6-8 Servings
Prep Time: 10 mins.
Cook time: 5 mins.
Total time: 15 mins.

Tags: Old Fashioned, Potato Salad, Picnic, Relish, Summer, side, barbecue, SundaySupper, potluck, homemade

The #SundaySupper group has been hard at work preparing the best picnic foods to share with you, so be sure to check out the list to plan your next shindig! This sure makes planning your 4th of July event a breeze!! Happy Summer!

Beverages

Appetizers
Mains
Sides Salads Sandwiches and Wraps Sweets

 Sunday Supper MovementJoin the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.

Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy! You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.

33 comments:

  1. You've got company, Marion! I could eat a ginormous bowl of that good looking potato salad, too. Thank you for sharing the how-to...And Happy 4th of July picnicking =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband loves a good old fashioned potato salad. I must make this for him soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great, Marlene! I hope he likes this one :) Have a nice week!

      Delete
  3. There is nothing nicer than an old fashioned potato salad on a picnic!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! Definitely one of my favorite things :)

      Delete
  4. It looks pretty marvelous to me, Marion! Perfect picnic fare!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You can't beat a big ol' bowl of good old potato salad!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yep, this is a classic for a reason. Looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is definitely some good old fashioned picnic food!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Potato salad is one of my favorite summertime dishes! I love the addition of garlic in yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhhh we have so much in common, Renee :)

      Delete
  9. Classics are perfect for summer! And your potato salad looks terrific - I love the pickle and big chunks of potatoes!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love a good, classic recipe! These are the kind you share with your kids for years and years. So perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! This is a remake of my grandma's recipe for sure! I think she has a magic touch though, I can never get it quite as good ;) Thanks for stopping by Kimberly!

      Delete
  11. Potato Salad is always a favorite of mine! Yours looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm sure the pickles give this a kick!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! They are the best part :) Thanks for stopping by, Cindy!

      Delete
  13. I love potato salad! This looks so yummy in my tummy good! Thanks for stopping by Granny's Down Home Sassy Southern Cooking.

    Debra

    ReplyDelete
  14. Potato salad is always a hit, isn't it? Yours looks fab!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The thing about classic dishes is there is a reason it is a classic, it is perfect the way it is. Fancying up potato salad is great but having a old stand by is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree!! Thanks for stopping by, Laura :)

      Delete
  16. Potato salad is my summer fav! I love that you put several eggs in it. Aside from potatoes, eggs are essential to good potato salad. Kudos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My fave too, and gotta have eggs all the way!! Thanks for stopping by, Alaiyo!

      Delete
  17. Not that I ever mean to....but I am always serving "mashed" potato salad! LOL...it tastes fine but I just can't seem to get the timing right when I cook those little cubes. Your salad is beautiful and I love the simplicity of it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting and sharing your thoughts! Comments are moderated, so I don't miss anything. I like to read each and every one! Please understand I am not able to allow comments with links. Thanks! I hope it's a great day!! ~Marion

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger... >