Apple Cinnamon French Toast is a real crowd pleaser. The tender cooked apples paired with the cinnamon-y goodness of the french toast and topped with pure maple syrup is so comforting and delicious! It's a tasty way to start the day or end it.
Breakfast for dinner anyone?
My mom always made us french toast when we were kids. I think french toast is one of the first things I ever learned how to make by myself. It's so easy to teach the kids how to make it, and they always love dipping the bread in the egg mixture and hearing the sizzle when they put it in the pan! Just teach them to be careful not to burn themselves when they flip them over...
When Madison was very young, she was on a chair helping me make breakfast as she had done many times before. She got burned when her little arm touched the side of the skillet :(
She was shaken up by it and still remembers that burn to this day, thankfully it didn't scare her out of the kitchen. She's a busy college student, but still likes to mix things up in the kitchen every so often.
Apple Cinnamon French Toast
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 apples, peeled, cored and sliced thinly
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- salt to taste
- 6 large eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Cinnamon Swirl Bread
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over mid-high heat. Add the apples and cook, stirring, until apples are almost tender. About 5 minutes or so.
- Dissolve 1 teaspoon cornstarch in 1/4 cup water and add this mixture to the skillet with the apples. Stir in 1/4 cup brown sugar and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon. Add a pinch of salt and bring to a boil until thickened. This should only take a minute or 2. Give it a taste and add more salt, sugar, and/or cinnamon to your liking. Remove from heat and set aside until ready to use.
- Whisk together 6 eggs and 1/4 cup milk. Add 1 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, and a tablespoon of sugar. Whisk until combine well.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat and spray with cooking spray or lightly grease with butter. Dip bread slices in egg mixture and place in skillet in a single layer. Cook bread about 2-3 minutes on each side until golden brown. Repeat with remaining egg mixture.
- Serve French Toast topped with the sauteed apples and maple syrup. Enjoy!
Prep Time: 10 mins.
Total time: 20 mins.
Tags: Apple Cinnamon French Toast, French Toast, Apples, Cinnamon, Breakfast, Fall, Easy Recipe, Fruit, Bread, Kid Friendly
recipe adapted from Allrecipes Apple-Cinnamon French Toast
Here are some more breakfast recipes....