Roasted Butternut Squash Soup

Recipe adapted from Butternut Squash Soup

Butternut Squash is chock full of goodness! Tasty goodness and good for you stuff!  It is low in fat and a good source of fiber and folate making it very heart friendly. It has a significant amount of potassium for your bones, and vitamin B6 to give a boost to your immune system!

Cut into its pale skin and you'll find a vibrant flesh in a beautiful, bright tangerine color. The rich, deep color tells you it is full of nutrients that help guard against heart disease, breast cancer, and macular degeneration. In addition, this hearty fruit is rich in vitamin C providing nearly half the recommended daily dose in just 1 cup!

This is a good gourd to add to your diet! and this soup hits the spot. It is very filling and makes for a hearty meal all on its own, but add a grilled cheese and you have a very satisfying dinner - even for the old meat and potato types like my hubs!

Here is how I made the soup:

  • 6 tablespoons chopped onion
  • 4 tablespoons butter
  • 2 lbs roasted butternut squash
  • 3 cups water
  • 1 tablespoon chicken base
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
  • 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
  • 2 slices of thick sliced bacon
  • chives


Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with foil. Cut the squash in half and remove the seeds. In a small bowl mix together about a tablespoon of olive oil, salt and pepper to taste, and 1 to 2 garlic cloves minced (I used 2).  Brush this mixture onto the cut sides of the squash. Roast, cut side up, for about 45 mins.  Remove from oven and let cool.

While the squash is cooling, melt butter and saute onions in stockpot until soft. Add water, chicken base, marjoram, and peppers. Bring to a boil, stirring. Then reduce heat and let simmer.  When squash is cooled enough to handle, scoop out the flesh and put it in your blender with the cream cheese. Add the stock from the pot and blend on the lowest setting until well mixed. NOTE: If not all fits in your blender you will have to mix it in batches. After blending well, return the soup to the stockpot and simmer for 30 minutes to an hour. The longer you simmer the more enhanced the flavor will be.  

While the soup is simmering you can cook up some thick cut bacon. I chopped the bacon and some chives and used that for garnish. It is delicious with the soup! Prior to serving be sure to salt to your tastes.


  1. I have been wanting to try a butternut squash soup. This looks and sounds awesome. I have 2 butternut squash to use and this is going on the menu for tonight. Thanks for sharing!

    1. You're welcome! We really liked it a lot and it tastes even better today. I want to try the 'Easy Butternut Squash Ravioli' too. Uh oh the soup has me addicted to butternut now...

  2. I have butternut squash ravioli in my freezer! Soup looks delish! I like to add some apple and fresh ginger to mine!

    1. I wished I had ginger on hand when I made this! I'm sure it goes well, and I've heard apples or pears are good with it too! I'll try that next time. The ravioli is going to happen in my house - I don't know when, but soon I hope. The allrecipes one calls for using the wonton wrappers - not sure I want to do that though. I think I might have to get a pasta roller for an early Christmas gift and just make my own raviolis - yummmm Maybe with a ginger brown butter sauce...


Thank you so much for visiting and sharing your thoughts! Comments are moderated, so I don't miss anything. I like to read each and every one! Please understand I am not able to allow comments with links. Thanks! I hope it's a great day!! ~Marion

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger... >