Life Tastes Good is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program. Please note: This post may contain affiliate links to products I use and love. I earn a small commission, at no extra cost to you, to help with blog expenses when you make a purchase through an affiliate link. Thank you for your support!
Sunday SupperIt's that time of year when there seems to be an award show on TV every weekend. The super bowl of awards shows, the Oscars, is in 2 weeks and if you're going to have a viewing party with a few friends or, if you're like me, just mindlessly watch while vegging on the couch because there is nothing else on TV, you should definitely think about making some goodies to enjoy. The Sunday Supper Tastemakers are sharing our favorite Fancy Appetizer recipes perfect for viewing parties large or small. Be sure to scroll down past my recipe to find the complete list. Thanks goes out to Wendy of Wholistic Woman for making this event possible!
My Cucumber Bites are the perfect party appetizer. They are so easy to make! The guacamole can be made up ahead of time, or buy your favorite premade guac, and then you just have to take a couple minutes to season and cook the shrimp before assembling and serving. The flavor is a real crowd pleaser! I love how the spicy creole shrimp contrasts with the coolness of the cucumber, and the creamy guacamole is the perfect compliment to this crunchy little bite. If you want a little touch of sweetness, I recommend brushing the shrimp with just a hint of melted apricot preserves. I love that sweet heat, but my husband prefers the full on heat of the shrimp. Either way, this party appetizer is sure to impress! Be ready for these tasty bites to disappear quickly!
Low Carb AppetizerI like that this appetizer is made up of healthy ingredients with the cucumbers, avocados, & lean protein. Additionally, I love it is low carb! 1 average cucumber has approximately 6 net carbs, and the guacamole adds about 3 net carbs to this appetizer. The shrimp adds maybe 3 carbs for a grand total of 12 net carbs for the entire recipe. I wouldn't recommend eating all 16 pieces at once, but it's good to know each piece is actually less than 1 net carb, making this a wonderful option for anyone watching their waistline. I could snack on these all day and not feel guilty. I like that!
Recipe Prep Tips:
- Purchase shrimp already peeled, deveined, and tails removed to save time. If you purchase frozen shrimp, be sure to thaw them with plenty of time and dry them well before seasoning.
- I recommend preparing the cucumber slices and topping them with guacamole while the skillet is heating up on the stovetop. I remove some of the peel to make it look fancier with random stripes, but that's completely optional. I don't recommend removing all of the peel as that weakens the cucumber slice and makes it a little messier to eat too.
- Once the skillet is ready to go the shrimp will cook quickly, so it's nice to have the cucumbers topped with the guacamole. Then you just have to place a shrimp on each appetizer piece and garnish with freshly chopped cilantro.
- I don't recommend making this up too far ahead as the guacamole will start to turn. It's best to make these up when you want to serve them and watch them disappear!
Life Tastes Good just like it should with FREE recipes delivered to your inbox
Click here to subscribe
Cucumber Bites with Creole Shrimp and Guacamole
Cucumber Bites with Creole Shrimp and Guacamole should definitely be on all the party menus! These tasty little treats are easy to make, low carb, and delicious.
- 1 cucumber about 8-10", some peel removed if you like and sliced into 1/2" rounds
- 16-20 teaspoons Simple Guacamole Recipe or your favorite premade guacamole
- 16-20 pieces of shrimp, peeled, deveined, & tails off
- 1 tablespoon creole seasoning
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 whole cloves garlic, peeled
- Freshly chopped cilantro for garnish
- Apricot preserves, melted (optional)
- Heat a cast iron skillet over mid-high heat while you prepare the cucumber slices.
- Top each cucumber slice with about a teaspoon of guacamole and place on serving tray.
- Season the shrimp with 1 tablespoon creole seasoning. Place 2 tablespoons butter in the hot skillet and add the shrimp and 2 whole cloves garlic to the skillet. Allow to cook for about 45 seconds to a minute and turn each piece of shrimp over. Cook another 30 seconds, basting the shrimp with the skillet juices as they cook. When cooked through, remove the shrimp to a plate and place each one on top of the guacamole topped cucumbers. Garnish with chopped cilantro. Serve and enjoy!
- Optional - if you like a sweet heat you can melt some apricot preserve and lightly brush it on the shrimp before garnishing with cilantro. This will add a little to the carb count, so be aware of that if that is a concern.
Prep Time: 10 mins.
Total time: 12 mins.
Sunday Supper Fancy Appetizer Recipes
- BLT Crostini Sliders with Avocado Aioli by Casa de Crews
- Easy Caprese Puff Pastry Bites by The Weekend Gourmet
- French Onion Palmiers by Cooking With Carlee
- Ham and Mustard Spirals by Food Lust People Love
- Homemade Mozzarella Cheese Sticks by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Middle Eastern Deviled Eggs by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Mushroom and Blue Cheese Gougeres by Turnips 2 Tangerines
- Simple Greek Pinwheels with Tzatziki Dipping Sauce by A Mind “Full” Mom
- Soppressata Puffs by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Baba Ganoush by The Crumby Cupcake
- Baked Fruit and Nut Camembert by Sunday Supper Movement
- Caesar Salad Wonton Cups by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Cucumber Bites with Creole Shrimp and Guacamole by Life Tastes Good
- Dates with Goat Cheese, Prosciutto and Truffle Honey by Monica’s Table
- Drunken Asparagus with Feta and Prosciutto by Wholistic Woman
- Italian Chicken Meatballs by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Japanese Meatballs by NinjaBaker.com
- Loaded Hasselback Potatoes Mini Size by Crazed Mom
- Mini Caprese Bites With Balsamic Drizzle by My Sweet Savings
- Pork Dumplings by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Prosciutto and Blue Cheese Pear Bites by Jersey Girl Cooks
- Lime Shrimp Cups by Our Good Life
- Mini Crab Cakes by My Savory Spoon
- Oysters Rockefeller by Caroline’s Cooking
- Scallop Crudo with Citrus by Cricket’s Confections
- Shrimp Martini by Palatable Pastime
- Southwestern Shrimp Spring Rolls by The Freshman Cook
- Tuna Poke Mochi Waffles by Brunch-n-Bites
- Gluten Free Champagne Cake Pops by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Loaded Chocolate Dipped Potato Chips by Desserts Required
- Mini S’mores Tarts by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Peanut Butter and Jelly Cheesecake Bars by Pies and Plots
- Sweet Dijon Pecan Baked Brie Bites by Soulfully Made
- Wine Gummy Bears by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Baked Eggplant Fries with Basil Dipping Sauce by Dizzy Busy and Hungry
- Blue Cheese Asparagus Bites by Hardly A Goddess
- Broccoli Pesto Potato Bites by Simple and Savory
- Mushroom Purses by Seduction in the Kitchen
- Roasted Carrot Soup by From the Bookshelf