Disclosure: Life Tastes Good is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program. Please note: This post may contain affiliate links to products I use and love. I earn a small commission, at no extra cost to you, to help with blog expenses when you make a purchase through an affiliate link. Thank you for your support!
I've actually never had the famous Cracker Barrel Coca-Cola Cake, but years ago, after a friend gave me her recipe, I used to make a homemade Coca-Cola Cake that was AH-MAZING!. It was a basic chocolate cake using Coca-Cola for the liquid and then iced with a sweet, chocolaty, Coca-Cola icing that has a very distinct flavor and really made the cake outstanding. Don LOVED it! I don't know why it's been years since I made it, and I really don't know why Don, out-of-the-blue, asked me to make it again recently, but I'm glad he did.
Of course, I wanted to indulge him, but I really didn't want to make a ginormous sheet cake for just the two of us, so I turned to google and found a recipe by The 350 Degree Oven on the Coca-Cola site for these donuts. I did change up the technique just a bit to yield the texture I prefer in a baked donut, but this recipe is very simple to make. It is much like making muffins, however, you will need a Donut Pan to get the shape just right.
Life Tastes Good just like it should with FREE recipes delivered to your inbox
Click here to subscribe
Coca-Cola Cake Donuts
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup Coca-Cola
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons Coca-Cola
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Grease the Donut Pan generously. I use unsalted butter and make sure to get it all over.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, 1 teaspoon baking powder, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Whisk to mix well and aerate.
- In a separate mixing bowl, combine 2 eggs, 2/3 cup sugar, 1 teaspoon vanilla, 1/2 cup Coca-Cola, and 2 tablespoons canola oil. Whisk to mix well.
- Form a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour the wet ingredients into the well. Gently fold the ingredients together until just combined. Set this mixture aside for about 15 minutes while the oven preheats. This will allow the baking powder to activate and help to make the donuts have a fluffier, lighter texture that I prefer.
- Preheat the oven to 325°F while the batter is resting. When the oven is preheated, carefully scoop the mixture into the prepared Donut Pan, filling 3/4 of each donut cup.
- Bake 8-10 minutes in the preheated oven until the top of the donut bounces back when lightly pressed. Remove from oven and allow to cool 5 minutes in pan. Gently loosen donuts from pan and invert onto cooling rack to cool completely.
- Clean out the pan to make the rest of the batter in the same manner.
- While the donuts are cooling, prepare the icing by melting 1/4 cup unsalted butter and combine with 3 tablespoons Coca-Cola. Mix in 2 tablespoons cocoa powder, 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, and 1/2 teaspoon salt until smooth.
- When the donuts are cooled, dip each in the icing and set back on the cooling rack to dry. Enjoy!
Prep Time: 20 mins.
Total time: 30 mins.
Tags: Easy Recipe, Coca-Cola Cake Donuts, Coca-Cola, Chocolate, Cake, Donuts, Chocolate Donuts, Baked, Glaze, Glazed Donuts