Disclosure: Life Tastes Good is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program. Please note: This post may contain affiliate links. I earn a small commission, at no extra cost to you, to help with blog expenses when you make a purchase through an affiliate link. Thank you for your support!
The #SundaySupper Tastemakers have been busy in the kitchen creating Asian inspired recipes such as my Banh Mi Hot Dogs. At the bottom of this page you'll find links to all of this week's #SundaySupper recipes. You'll want to click on each one to enjoy a virtual foodie trip through Asian cuisine. A big thank you goes out to Amy of Kimchi Mom for making this event possible.
This Asian hot dog recipe starts with a sweet and soft hot dog bun slathered in a garlic chili mayo which holds a crunchy, all-natural hot dog topped with tangy pickled vegetable slaw, finely diced jalapeno peppers, and finished with fresh cilantro. It is a flavor powerhouse and quite simply the best hot dog I have ever eaten!
My love affair with the Vietnamese Banh Mi started last year, and now I look for any reason to enjoy the complex flavors that make up this favorite street food sandwich. Click here for my Vietnamese Pork Sandwich Recipe-Banh Mi.
Recently I made some Bread and Butter Pickles that were a big hit with everyone who tried them. So much so, I ended up buying loads of cucumbers to make jar upon jar of these sweet and tangy little bites of deliciousness. Don couldn't get enough of them, and everyone who tried them either wanted the recipe or wanted me to make them a jar.
The idea for these Banh Mi Hot Dogs hit me like a ton of bricks while I was pickling all those cucumbers. It reminded me of the Pickled Vegetable Slaw I shared with you last year. That memory coupled with a rare craving for hot dogs is how this recipe was born. We aren't big hot dog eaters, but when you get the hot dog itch it must be scratched!
I use natural casing hot dogs for their crunch and overall higher quality. I recommend Thumann's or Applegate hot dogs. Both of these brands are all-natural and have that snappy crunch I crave when eating this favorite All-American treat. A hot dog with that snappy crunch contrasts nicely with a soft bun making each bite a satisfying experience. The satisfying sensory experience doesn't stop there! Oh no! As is common in Vietnamese Cuisine, all five senses get a workout when you enjoy these Banh Mi Hot Dogs!
You'll be able to feel the crisp, cool pickled vegetables that are in direct contrast with the freshly cooked, warm hot dog. You'll notice how the sweet tastes of the vegetables balances out the heat from the finely diced jalapeno peppers, and the aroma of fresh herbs will tickle your nose as you listen to each and every crunchy bite of this visually beautiful gourmet hot dog. It's an experience not to missed! Lucky for all of us this Banh Mi Hot Dog recipe is super easy to make too! Let me show you how...
Life Tastes Good just like it should with FREE recipes delivered to your inbox
Click here to subscribe
Banh Mi Hot Dog
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise. (Click here to see the brand I use)
- 1 teaspoon freshly minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon sweet and sour sauce
- pinch of kosher salt
- pinch of sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 6 All-Natural Hot Dogs. I recommend Thumann's or Applegate hot dogs.
- 6 Hot Dog buns, lightly toasted. I recommend Pepperidge Farm Top Sliced Sweet and Soft Hot Dog Buns.
- Pickled Vegetable Slaw (Click here for my recipe)
- 2 tablespoons finely diced, fresh jalapenos
- Freshly chopped cilantro for garnish
- Prepare Pickled Vegetable Slaw according to the recipe early in the day or a day ahead and store covered in the fridge until ready to use.
- Combine 1/2 cup mayonnaise with 1 teaspoon freshly minced garlic, 1 teaspoon sweet and sour sauce, a pinch of kosher salt, and a pinch of sugar. Mix well to combine and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a skillet over medium heat. Saute hot dogs in skillet until well browned on all sides and cooked through.
- While hot dogs are cooking, place buns under the oven broiler to lightly toast. Watch them carefully as they will burn quickly and we don't want that!
- When buns are nicely toasted, remove them from the oven and spread the mayonnaise mixture onto both sides of each bun. Top bun with a fully cooked hot dog and add Pickled Vegetable Slaw on top. Garnish each with 1 teaspoon finely diced jalapenos and freshly chopped cilantro. Serve and enjoy!
Prep Time: 10 mins.
Total time: 20 mins.
Tags: Banh Mi Hot Dog, Vietnamese, Asian, Gourmet, Sandwich, Hot Dogs, Pickled Vegetables, Jalapenos, #SundaySupper, Recipe
We like to pair the Banh Mi Hot Dogs with either my Healthy Baked Sweet Potato Fries or My Best Baked French Fries...
- Lumpia, Baked Filipino Eggroll by Food Done Light
- Crab Ragoon by Recipes Food and Cooking
- Fried Rice by Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Homemade Sushi by The Freshman Cook
- Mango Pudding by Brunch with Joy
- Shrimp Rangoon Egg Rolls with Honey-Soy Dipping Sauce by The Weekend Gourmet
- Thai Style Sliders by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Venison Satay with Spicy Peanut Sauce by Grumpy's Honeybunch
- Asam Laksa by Caroline's Cooking
- Bacon Miso Ramen by The Crumby Cupcake
- Bok Choy Gai See Tong (Bok Choy and Shredded Chicken Soup) by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Pork Prawn Wonton Soup by Food Lust People Love
- Asian Beef and Green Bean Stir-Fry by Family Foodie
- Banh Mi Hot Dog by Life Tastes Good
- Beef Lo Mein by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Cheese Korokke by Manu's Menu
- Chicken Zoodle "Lo Mein" by Casa de Crews
- Easy Chow Mein by Momma's Meals
- Ginger-Citrus Grilled Salmon by Palatable Pastime
- Grilled Pork Báhn Mì by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Grilled Tandoori Chicken by Cooking Chat
- Hoisin Burgers with Peanut Slaw by Cindy's Recipes and Writings
- Ojingeo Bokkeum (Korean Spicy Stir-fried Squid) by kimchi MOM
- Oven Simmered Asian BBQ Chicken by What Smells So Good?
- Pad Thai by Curious Cuisiniere
- Seven Flavor Precious Chicken by Nosh My Way
- Sri Lankan Vegetable Curry by Panning The Globe
- Thai Chicken by Feeding Big
- Vietnamese Flank Steak by Bobbi's Kozy Kitchen
- Copy Cat: CPK Thai Salad by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Crispy Asian Noodle Salad by Ruffles & Truffles
- Nam Sod (Thai Pork Salad) by Magnolia Days
- Soba Noodle Salad by Jane's Adventures in Dinner
- Best Wines To Pair with Asian Cuisine by ENOFYLZ Wine Blog
- Asian Noodle Types and 34 Best Asian Recipes by SundaySupper