If you need an easy dinner recipe that tastes AH-mazing, you've landed on the right page! My Easy Baked Chicken Chimichangas are better than restaurant quality (imho) and made easy with a delicious short cut. I'm so excited to share my super secret shortcut recipe with you!
I first had chimichangas many years ago on a trip to DC. My daughter won a National reading contest when she was just 7 years old! She read an obscene amount of books and took tests on each one! It was a really big deal.
The grand prize was a trip to Washington, DC and a tour of the White House, although, the tour, sadly, never happened. We walked up to the guard gate at the White House and handed them our paper as we were instructed, and they basically said, "So?" haha The contest people weren't able to make it happen in the short amount of time, but we still enjoyed our trip immensely.
In addition to the tour that never happened, we were invited to dine at several establishments where we decided to try something different. Chimichangas sounded like a good place to start. They were so delicious, y'all! I never thought I'd be able to make chimichangas at home and baked too! Don't get me wrong, these chimichangas are not a copycat, oh no, these are much different from the ones we enjoyed all those years ago, and by different I mean they are way better! I think so, anyway ;) The best part is the short cut that makes them so easy. Do you want to know my secret? Read on...
Okay, okay, I've made you wait long enough. To make these chimichangas come together quickly, I used LLOYD’S® Barbeque Shredded Chicken. I love the LLOYD’S® Barbeque Tubs. Not only do they add a sweet BBQ flavor, but they also make quick work of dinner even on those busy nights!
HORMEL® brands have been making recipes quick, easy and delicious since 1891!! With several different flavors from which to choose, the dinner possibilities are endless. Did I mention LLOYD’S® Barbeque also has ribs?! It's true! Look for all of the LLOYD’S® products in your local grocery store. I found them near the bacon. To view HORMEL® products online, sign-up for their helpful Hormel Newsletter, as well as pick up money saving coupons and more tasty Easy Recipe Ideas, visit Hormel Foods.
This easy recipe comes together in about 30 minutes with the sweet BBQ flavor of shredded chicken mixed with spicy homemade sauce, refried beans, and my Queso Blanco all combine to create a delicious fusion of flavor that explodes on your taste buds!
I made these chimichangas the weekend my brother came to visit. My brother was a professional chef his entire adult life until just recently when he changed careers. I'm always so nervous to cook for him, but I definitely hit a home run with this dish! He went on and on about how good it was! I was tickled! As if that wasn't enough, my mom even enjoyed this dish! She is a very picky eater and doesn't like to try new things, but after her first bite she declared this a keeper!
To make these chimichangas I sauteed some onion, garlic, and jalapeno until soft. Then I added some spices, fresh tomatoes, and cilantro with the LLOYD’S® Shredded Chicken and sour cream. This took less than 10 minutes, y'all. I told you this was easy peasy! (See full ingredient list and directions below)
Next up I filled my tortillas. I used large tortillas and added refried beans with a little chopped cilantro...
and a generous helping of the LLOYD’S® Barbeque Chicken mixture...
topped with cheese...
folded in the sides...
rolled it up...
and brushed with oil.
I followed these steps with the remaining tortillas and baked for 10 minutes on each side until crispy. To finish them off, I topped these delicious chimichangas with salsa verde, Queso Blanco, fresh tomatoes, and cilantro. I served with Spanish rice to round out the meal.
Not only are these Easy Baked Chicken Chimichangas great for those busy nights, but just imagine relaxing outdoors on a beautiful summer evening enjoying this fresh and delicious fusion of flavors! Sounds like a perfect evening to me! I'm so glad I picked up 2 tubs of the LLOYD’S® Barbeque Chicken, because this is happening in my kitchen again very soon <smile>
Join me in following Hormel's Recipeasy Pinterest and Facebook Page where you can share your creative and delicious recipe ideas! How fun is that?!
Easy Baked Chicken Chimichangas
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup finely diced yellow onion
- 1 tablespoon freshly minced garlic
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely diced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 Roma tomato, chopped
- chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 (16 ounce) container of LLOYD’S® Barbeque Shredded Chicken
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 (15 ounce) can of refried beans
- 4 10" flour tortillas
- 1 cup Shredded Mexican Cheese Blend
- Salsa Verde
- Queso Blanco
- Chopped Roma tomatoes for topping
- Chopped cilantro for topping
- Preheat oven to 450°F. and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a skillet heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium heat. Add 1/2 cup finely diced onion, 1 tablespoon minced garlic, and 1 jalapeno finely diced. Cook about 1-2 minutes until they start to soften.
- Add 1 teaspoon chili powder, 1/2 teaspoon cumin, 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon and 1 teaspoon salt. Stir to combine, and add 1 diced tomato with 2 tablespoons cilantro. Stir to combine. Add in all of the chicken and 1/4 cup sour cream. Cook this mixture, stirring, until heated through. Remove from the heat.
- Assemble the chimichangas by spreading 2-3 tablespooons of refried beans down the center leaving a border on both ends. Top with cilantro, 1/4 of the chicken mixture and 1/4 cup of shredded cheese. Fold in the sides and roll up. Continue with the remaining chimichangas.
- Place seam-side down on the parchment lined baking sheet. If you have a rack, I recommend placing the rack on the baking sheet and baking the chimichangas on the rack for more even cooking. Brush each chimichanga with oil and bake 10 minutes and flip over, brush with oil and bake 10 more minutes until as crispy as you like 'em.
- Serve topped with salsa verde, Queso Blanco, fresh tomatoes, and chopped cilantro. Enjoy!
Prep Time: 10 mins.
Total time: 30 mins.
Tags: Easy Baked Chicken Chimichangas, Mexican, Recipe, BBQ Chicken, Hormel, LLOYD'S Barbeque Tubs, Tortillas, BBQ, Queso, Dinner
Recipe inspired by Food Network Almost Famous Chimichangas Recipe
I love to hear your creative ideas too! Please leave me a comment telling me how you make dinner easy with Hormel and LLOYD’S® Barbeque.
Life Tastes Good just like it should with FREE recipes delivered to your inbox
Click here to subscribe