My daughter goes to school in Savannah... a wonderful place to visit if you ever get a chance. She was introduced to queso at the local Mexican restaurant, Carlito's. She and her friends go there specifically for the queso...and the cute waiter, of course! Last year they tried to go every week! They really like that queso... or maybe it was the waiter??
Madison had treated me to Carlito's queso when I moved her back to school this past Fall. I had never had queso before, so I don't have anything to compare, but it sure was good!!...
and the waiter was adorable :)
Knowing how much she likes queso, I wanted to try to duplicate it for her. We had a Mexican appetizer night for dinner recently, and I found this recipe that promised it was exactly how they make it at Mexican restaurants! It was so creamy and delicious I had to share it!
Beware though - this recipe makes A LOT! I should have put it together that 1 and 1/4 pounds of cheese would make a bunch of dip, but I didn't... Madison was in charge of melting and mixing, and during the process she remarked "this is a lot of queso...how much does this make?" I hadn't noticed, so I went to check the recipe and replied "ummm....30 ounces!" She let out a shriek! That IS a lot! Almost 4 cups!! Oh well, it reheats well, and we have used it on everything from omelets to chicken wings! It seems to get better with age! We also froze some of it for her to take back to school to share with her friends. Hopefully it will thaw and reheat nicely for them...
So if you make this you might want to cut the recipe in half or even down to 1/4! This much cheese will run you about $10, so cutting down the recipe will help cut down the cost as well - I will definitely be making a smaller portion of this in the future!
- 1 1/4 lb block of White American Cheese cut into cubes (I got this from the Deli and they cut it into cubes for me!)
- 1/4 cup diced green chiles (I pick up a small can located near the Mexican Foods at the grocery store)
- 2 pickled jalapenos, chopped (I use a jar of sliced pickled jalapenos and just eyeball what I think would be 2 - I add more if needed)
- 1 ounce pickled jalapeno juice
- 2/3 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup cold water
- pinch of cumin
- kosher salt to taste
- Place cubed cheese, 1/4 cup diced green chiles, 2 pickled jalapenos, chopped, 1 ounce pickled jalapeno juice, 2/3 cup whole milk, 1/2 cup cold water, and a pinch of cumin in a large microwaveable bowl.
- Microwave on high, 1 minute at a time, for 5-6 minutes, until smooth. Stir after each minute. Serve hot with chips and/or raw veggies. Enjoy!
Total time: 10 mins.
Tags: Queso, Dip, White Cheese, Mexican, Appetizer, Chips, Vegetables, Starter, Blanco, American Cheese