Thursday, December 27, 2012

Queso Blanco Dip (White Cheese Dip)

Queso Blanco Dip (White Cheese Dip) | by Life Tastes Good Is one of our favorite things. Where has this stuff been all my life? #Mexican #AppetizerQueso Blanco Dip (White Cheese Dip) Is one of our favorite things. Where has this stuff been all my life? 

My daughter goes to school in Savannah... a wonderful place to visit if you ever get a chance. She was introduced to queso at the local Mexican restaurant, Carlito's. She and her friends go there specifically for the queso...and the cute waiter, of course! Last year they tried to go every week! They really like that queso... or maybe it was the waiter??

Madison had treated me to Carlito's queso when I moved her back to school this past Fall. I had never had queso before, so I don't have anything to compare, but it sure was good!!... 

and the waiter was adorable :)

Knowing how much she likes queso, I wanted to try to duplicate it for her. We had a Mexican appetizer night for dinner recently, and I found this recipe that promised it was exactly how they make it at Mexican restaurants! It was so creamy and delicious I had to share it!

Beware though - this recipe makes A LOT! I should have put it together that 1 and 1/4 pounds of cheese would make a bunch of dip, but I didn't...  Madison was in charge of melting and mixing, and during the process she remarked "this is a lot of queso...how much does this make?"  I hadn't noticed, so I went to check the recipe and replied "ummm....30 ounces!" She let out a shriek! That IS a lot! Almost 4 cups!! Oh well, it reheats well, and we have used it on everything from omelets to chicken wings! It seems to get better with age! We also froze some of it for her to take back to school to share with her friends. Hopefully it will thaw and reheat nicely for them...

So if you make this you might want to cut the recipe in half or even down to 1/4! This much cheese will run you about $10, so cutting down the recipe will help cut down the cost as well - I will definitely be making a smaller portion of this in the future!

Queso Blanco Dip (White Cheese Dip) | by Life Tastes Good Is one of our favorite things. Where has this stuff been all my life? #Mexican #Appetizer

Queso Blanco Dip (White Cheese Dip)

Life Tastes Good
Published 12/27/2012
Queso Blanco Dip (White Cheese Dip)

Ingredients

  • 1 1/4 lb block of White American Cheese cut into cubes (I got this from the Deli and they cut it into cubes for me!)
  • 1/4 cup diced green chiles (I pick up a small can located near the Mexican Foods at the grocery store)
  • 2 pickled jalapenos, chopped (I use a jar of sliced pickled jalapenos and just eyeball what I think would be 2 - I add more if needed)
  • 1 ounce pickled jalapeno juice
  • 2/3 cup whole milk
  • 1/2 cup cold water
  • pinch of cumin
  • kosher salt to taste

Instructions

  1. Place cubed cheese, 1/4 cup diced green chiles, 2 pickled jalapenos, chopped, 1 ounce pickled jalapeno juice, 2/3 cup whole milk, 1/2 cup cold water, and a pinch of cumin in a large microwaveable bowl.
  2. Microwave on high, 1 minute at a time, for 5-6 minutes, until smooth. Stir after each minute. Serve hot with chips and/or raw veggies. Enjoy!
Prep Time: 5 mins.
Cook time: 5 mins.
Total time: 10 mins.

Tags: Queso, Dip, White Cheese, Mexican, Appetizer, Chips, Vegetables, Starter, Blanco, American Cheese

Thank you for visiting! Let's be social! Follow Life Tastes Good on PinterestFacebookTwitterInstagramBloglovin, and Google Plus

21 comments:

  1. Well...We know what is for din din....and lunch...and appetizers...at your casa. eh? Looks good. Think you could use a monterey...or a queso fresco type cheese?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha Yep! I think you could use any cheese and get a good flavor, but I feel like the American is going to give you the best texture and creaminess.

      Delete
  2. Hi Marion, I like the idea of a white cheese dip! Thanks for sharing at Foodie Friends Friday Linky Party Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks like a great party recipe! Thanks for sharing on Foodie Friends Friday! Please add our link back on your post. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did have 2 links on all recipes within my blog - I thought that is what was required, but I now removed those and put a link in the specific submitted recipe. Thanks

      Delete
  4. This is some serious YUM! My name is Cindy and I blog over at Vegetarianmamma.com I wanted to invite you to link up your recipe and any others at our Gluten Free Fridays Recipe Link up party! It happens every Friday and we'd love to have you join us with some of your awesome recipes! It doesn't mean that you have to be a gluten free bloggers. If you have some recipes on your blog that are gluten free that counts! :) Many recipes are naturally gluten free.
    Thanks, Cindy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds wonderful! Thanks! Looking forward to checking it out :o)

      Delete
  5. I could eat this for every meal! I grew up in the southwest and used to enjoy this at every party I ever went to! Thanks for sharing.

    Thank you for linking up to Foodie Friends Friday! I can't wait to see what you bring next week!

    Cynthia at http://FeedingBig.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. My husband loves the white queso dip from Applebee's. Thanks to you, I can now make it at home for him! Glad I found you on Pinterest via @SITS.

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OOOH I don't think you'll want to eat this out again after making it at home!! It is so easy and sooooo goood! I hope you like it. Thanks for stopping by and for the comment! I hope you have a wonderful week too! ~Marion

      Delete
  7. Do you drain the green chillies before you measure the amount?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can be a bit a bit lazy, so I don't bother with draining the chiles ;o). Enjoy! ~Marion

      Delete
  8. Love queso dip! I had the same experience with the humongous portions restaurant recipes create when I made Parliament Bean Soup ... I should have known when they asked for 2 pounds of navy beans ... lol

    Found you on Recipe Graze and will be making this queso! (smaller portions)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Noel! I hope you like it! Even when I make a whole batch we always end up devouring it!! and it freezes well too! Have a super day! ~Marion

      Delete
  9. Love the wooden dip tray. Where can we buy it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I wish I knew, but it was a gift a very long time ago. So many people have asked me about this tray! I did have one reader who found a similar one on Ebay, so maybe try that! Sorry I couldn't be of more help ~Marion

      Delete
  10. What brand of White American do you recommend? I keep hearing Land O Lakes, but I can't find it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I go to the deli counter and ask for a block of white American. I get the store brand unless the land o lakes our boars head is on sale. I hope that helps! ~ Marion

      Delete
  11. This looks great! Thanks so much for sharing it with us. I love cheese dip (maybe too much), and I'm happy yours doesn't have velveeta.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd be worried about anyone who doesn't love cheese dip just a little too much ;). Fake cheese is definitely not my thing - it's the real stuff all the way. I hope you like this recipe - it's super easy and a family fave for sure! Enjoy! ~Marion

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger... >