May 2, 2012

Banana Cupcakes



My sweet mother-in-law always brings me lots of fruit whenever I host a dinner for the family, and she did not disappoint on our Easter gathering.  She showed up with bunches of beautiful fruit! I don't know what I was thinking when I bought a big bunch of bananas the day of our gathering - clearly I wasn't thinking!  I guess the mind goes first...  As you can imagine we had a houseful of bananas this Easter, and I'm not just talking about the fruit!  (just joking Myers' family - heehee)

Now, the way we go through bananas in this house you'd think I'm living with monkeys! (hmmm...that could explain a lot of things)  Anyhoo, having all those bananas wouldn't normally be a problem.  That particular week, however, we had plans to go out of town, and being the conservative that I am I did not want those bananas to go to waste.  I just knew I could find something yummy to create with them...... later, so I popped them in the freezer - peel and all!  

Today I dragged those bananas out and made the most delicious cupcakes!  I don't know if this is a fact, but somehow the bananas seem to have more flavor for baking after they've been in the freezer - maybe it's just my imagination, but it works for me!

Banana Cupcakes
1 box yellow cake mix
1/2 cup flour
3 ripe bananas
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
3 eggs
1/3 cup oil
3/4 cup buttermilk
3/4 cup sour cream
1 tablespoon vanilla extract

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees and line muffin pans with cupcake liners (24)
In a large bowl whisk eggs, oil, buttermilk, sour cream, and vanilla. Mash bananas and add to the egg mixture - stir to combine. Add cake mix and flour to the wet ingredients and stir just enough to combine. Fill liners about 2/3 full and bake for 18-20 minutes until the tops bounce back when lightly pressed. Remove from oven and let cool in pan about 10 mins - then remove from pans and cool on baking rack.

Icing
6 oz Cream Cheese, softened (don't use the light or fat free - go all out - it is icing afterall)
1/2 cup butter, softened 
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
2-3 cups powdered sugar

Beat butter and cream cheese until well combined - about 3 minutes. Add the vanilla, and then slowly add the sugar 1/2 cup at a time until desired consistency and taste.  If it gets too thick you can thin the icing by adding a little bit of milk until you reach a good consistency.

When the cupcakes are cooled, pipe the icing onto the cupcakes and decorate as you please.  Enjoy!






As you can see in the picture I also made some donut muffins (aka CrackCakes as they are known in my house)!  These little muffins don't last long around here - they really are addictive!





This recipe adapted from Easy Banana Cupcakes with Chocolate Ganache - be sure to browse yourcupofcake.com  for the most wonderful cupcake recipes of all flavors!






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for visiting and sharing your thoughts! Comments are moderated, so I don't miss anything. I like to read each and every one!

When you leave a comment on a blog post, please be aware that the comment is then public and visible to anyone who reads the comment section. Your email address is never shared or disclosed, but your name and comment will be visible to others. You may choose to leave your comment anonymously. It is highly recommended that you avoid leaving detailed personal information in your comments. For more information please read Life Tastes Good's Privacy Policy before leaving a comment > Life Tastes Good's Privacy Policy

I reserve the right to remove comments deemed as inappropriate, threatening, profane, or spammy without notice.

Thanks! I hope it's a great day!! ~Marion

>