Mar 27, 2016

Mediterranean Meatballs Gyros Sandwich

These Mediterranean Meatball Gyros Sandwiches are full of flavor and very satisfying! Using simple flavors often found in Greek cuisine, this unique beef gyro recipe puts a twist on a traditional gyros (Yee-ros) recipe. It is so flavorful you'll feel the urge to smash plates and shout out OPA!
Mediterranean Meatball Gyros Sandwich on a plate ready to eat

WHAT IS A GYRO SANDWICH

A gyro sandwich, or gyros, is a Greek sandwich traditionally with meat, onion, tomato and tzatziki sauce served wrapped in soft pita bread.

This is one of my family's favorite recipes. It has also become a reader favorite over the years. Read what others are saying about this recipe...

READER REVIEWS

"As a college student studying nutrition, I LOVE this recipe. Easy to make ahead, healthy, and most importantly delicious! My parents also loved it, when I made it for them recently. Perfect recipe for a hot summer day; thanks for sharing it!

I made these tonight for friends who were over for supper. I won't lie - I expected to like them but not love them as I'm not a big eater of Greek food. Oh how wrong I was. These were fantastic! Everyone, including a 1 yr old and a 2.5 yr old, LOVED them. Rave reviews and a request for the recipe. Thank you so much for sharing :)

I made this for dinner tonight and it was SO GOOD! Tasted just like a gyro I would get in a restaurant. It's definitely going on the regular rotation at my house.

BEEF GYRO RECIPE


There are a few different components to this recipe, Tzatziki sauce, Mediterranean meatballs, and cucumber and tomato salad so it sounds like a lot to make, but honestly, it's super easy and ready in just 30 minutes!

I walk you through each step and show you how to make it, as well as when to make each component, to help make it as easy and efficient as possible.

If you aren't a fan of wraps, get the recipe for my Greek Bowl with Meatballs over Couscous. It's just as delicious and a great way to enjoy all of these delicious Mediterranean flavors.

Overhead shot of mediterranean meatballs gyro sandwich on a plate

HOW TO MAKE MEDITERRANEAN MEATBALLS GYRO SANDWICH

Prepare the Tzatziki Sauce

I try to make the Tzatziki sauce early in the day or the day before for best results.
  1. To make the Tzatziki, combine 1 cup Greek yogurt with 1/4 cup grated cucumber, 1 teaspoon freshly minced garlic, 1 teaspoon olive oil, 1 tablespoon fresh dill, 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Give it a taste and adjust the seasoning to your liking.
  2. Mix in 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice and stir to combine. Give it a taste and adjust the flavors to your liking. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Overhead view of tzatziki sauce combined and ready to serve with Mediterranean meatballs

Prepare the Mediterranean Meatballs

  1. To prepare the meatballs, preheat the oven to 425°F.
  2. In a large mixing bowl, combine 1/4 cup crushed pork rinds with 1 egg and mix well. Add 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf Italian parsley, 1 tablespoon freshly minced garlic, 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin, 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, and 1/4 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper and mix to combine.
  3. Add 1 pound ground chuck and stir with a wooden spoon (or use your hands) to distribute the seasoned pork rind mixture throughout the beef
  4. Form into meatballs using a medium sized cookie scoop or rolling in your hands.
  5. Place seasoned meatballs on a lightly greased rack set inside a baking tray. Bake in the pre-heated oven for about 10 minutes or until cooked through and no longer pink inside. Cooking time will vary depending on the size of your meatballs. Rest meatballs 5-10 minutes before serving.
Overhead view of Mediterranean meatballs on a baking tray ready for the oven

Prepare the Tomato Cucumber Salad

  1. While the meatballs are cooking, dice 1 cup cucumbers, 1 cup tomatoes, 1/2 cup red onions, and a tablespoon of flat leaf parsley and combine in a serving dish
  2. Salt & pepper the cucumber salad to taste and set aside until ready to assemble the meatball gyro sandwiches.

Assemble the Gyro Sandwiches

  1. When the meatballs are cooked through, remove from the oven to rest
  2. Turn the oven up to broil and place the flatbread on a baking sheet
  3. Broil until lightly toasted on both sides. Remember to keep the oven door ajar when broiling and watch the flatbread closely so they don't burn!
  4. To assemble, place about 4 meatballs down the center of each flatbread. Spoon a generous amount of Tzatziki sauce down the center next to the meatballs and top with a heaping spoonful of the tomato and cucumber salad
  5. Garnish with freshly chopped parsley and feta cheese if you like. Enjoy!
Toasted flatbread topped with Mediterranean meatballs, tzatziki sauce, and tomato cucumber salad


Mediterranean meatballs, gyros sandwich
Dinner recipes
Greek American
Yield: 4
Author:

Mediterranean Meatballs Gyro Sandwich

These Mediterranean Meatball Gyros Sandwiches are full of flavor and very satisfying! Using simple flavors often found in Greek cuisine, this unique recipe puts a twist on a traditional gyros (Yee-ros) recipe. It is so flavorful you'll feel the urge to smash plates and shout out OPA!
prep time: 15 Mcook time: 15 Mtotal time: 30 M

ingredients:

Tzatziki Sauce
  • 1 cup Greek yogurt
  • 1/4 cup English cucumber, grated
  • 1 teaspoon garlic, finely minced
  • 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon fresh dill
  • 1/4 teaspoon sea salt or to taste
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
  • 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
Mediterranean Meatballs
  • 1/4 cup pork rinds, crushed (see note #2)
  • 1 large egg
  • 2 tablespoons fresh flat-leaf Italian parsley, chopped
  • 1 tablespoon garlic, finely minced
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
  • 1 pound ground chuck
Cucumber Tomato Salad
  • 1 cup English cucumber, finely diced
  • 1 cup tomatoes, finely diced
  • 1/2 cup red onion, finely diced
  • 1 tablespoon flat leaf Italian parsley, chopped
  • salt & pepper to taste
Gyros Sandwich Assembly
  • 4 Flatbreads
  • Feta Cheese (optional)
  • Parsley for garnish (optional)

instructions:

How to cook Mediterranean Meatballs Gyro Sandwich

Tzatziki Sauce
  1. Combine 1 cup Greek yogurt with 1/4 cup grated cucumber, 1 teaspoon freshly minced garlic, 1 teaspoon olive oil, 1 tablespoon fresh dill, 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Mix in 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice and stir to combine. Give it a taste and adjust the flavors to your liking. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Mediterranean Meatballs
  1. Preheat oven to 425°F
  2. Combine 1/4 cup crushed pork rinds with 1 egg and mix well
  3. To the egg mixture, add 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf Italian parsley, 1 tablespoon freshly minced garlic, 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin, 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, and 1/4 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper and mix to combine.
  4. Add 1 pound ground chuck and stir with a wooden spoon (or use your hands) to distribute the seasoned pork rind mixture throughout the beef
  5. Form into meatballs (see note #3). Place seasoned meatballs on a lightly greased rack set inside a baking tray (see note #4). Bake in the pre-heated oven for about 10 minutes or until cooked through and no longer pink inside. Cooking time will vary depending on the size of your meatballs. Rest meatballs 5-10 minutes before serving.
Cucumber Tomato Salad
  1. While the meatballs are cooking, dice 1 cup cucumbers, 1 cup tomatoes, 1/2 cup red onions, and a tablespoon of flat leaf parsley and combine in a serving dish. Salt & pepper to your liking. Give it a taste and add more salt and pepper to taste.
Gyros Sandwich Assembly
  1. When the meatballs are cooked through, remove them from the oven to rest. Turn the oven up to broil and place the flatbread on a baking sheet. Broil until lightly toasted on both sides. Remember to keep the oven door ajar when broiling and watch them closely so they don't burn!
  2. To assemble gyro sandwiches, place about 4 meatballs down the center of each flatbread. Spoon a generous amount of Tzatziki sauce down the center next to the meatballs and top with a heaping spoonful of the tomato and cucumber salad. Garnish with feta cheese and chopped parsley if you like. Wrap up and enjoy!

NOTES:

Recipe originally published on Life Tastes Good on 3/27/2016. Information updated on 10/04/2019
1. For best results, I recommend preparing Tzatziki sauce early in the day or the day before.
2. Crushed pork rinds add flavor and help to keep the meatballs tender and juicy, so I highly recommend giving them a try, however, if you prefer you may substitute 1/4 cup fresh bread torn into very small pieces. It's a great way to use up leftover garlic bread if you have any!
3. To form meatballs I use a medium size scoop for uniform size and then roll into a ball.
4. I recommend using a baking rack set inside a baking tray to keep the meatballs up out of the pan juices. You can, however, cook the meatballs right on a lightly greased baking tray. The outside won't crisp up as nicely, but they will still have amazing flavor. TIP: Line the baking tray with foil for easier cleanup.
Calories
343.67
Fat (grams)
14.59
Sat. Fat (grams)
5.39
Carbs (grams)
21.30
Fiber (grams)
1.79
Net carbs
19.52
Sugar (grams)
5.28
Protein (grams)
31.18
Sodium (milligrams)
1275.57
Cholesterol (grams)
86.04
Nutrition label disclaimer: Nutrient values are estimates only. Variations may occur due to product availability and food preparation. To obtain the most accurate representation of the nutritional information in a given recipe, you should calculate the nutritional information with the actual ingredients used in your recipe, using your preferred nutrition calculator. You are solely responsible for ensuring that any nutritional information provided is accurate, complete, and useful.
Created using The Recipes Generator

55 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. you won't be disappointed!! I sent the last one to work with the hubs today, and I was a little sad when I went to eat lunch and only had a salad. All I could think about was that delicious sandwich :)

      Delete
  2. Guess what's on the menu for dinner tonight? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OOH I should have come to your house for din din!! I keep looking for an excuse to make it again haha. I have everything except the flat bread, but I can make that right?? hmmmm - I might have to get my fix again this weekend. I absolutely loved the meatballs and that Tzatziki Sauce is hard to say, but tastes amazing!!

      Delete
  3. It looks absolutely delicious! I love Tzatziki sauce and how your meatballs are bedded down in some of that yummy stuff! My mouth is just watering!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's it - I am coming to your house for these pitas, and to watch you take blog photos...then we can watch the movie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marion, I make gryo meatballs all the time to wrap up in flat bread. Your recipe is reminding me of just how good this meal can be!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, my. Even though I'm stuffed to the gills after our Easter dinner, I would love one of these fabulous gyros sandwiches! Your blog always makes me hungry, Marion :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. yum, yum, and yum. This is so my kind of everyday meal! Love this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love koftas on pita and with Greek spices? Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just found this recipe on Pinterest and it was delicious! I didn't have Italian bread crumbs so I used regular bread crumbs with about a teaspoon of Greek seasoning. Thank you for a wonderful recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, GennaRae! I'm so glad you enjoyed it and appreciate you taking the time to stop by and share that with me! Have a wonderful week ~Marion

      Delete
  10. Made these tonight. I was a little nervous because my hubby and daughter are what I'd refer to as meatball snobs. So I was taking a bit of a risk. It was worth it. I got nothing but praise! These were delicious. I'm looking forward to lunch tomorrow. :
    Thanks. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "meatball snobs" giggles I love that! Kimberly, you have no idea how much your sweet comment made my night. Thank you so much for taking the time to share this with me. I am so happy your family liked this recipe. It is definitely one of our faves, and I'm honored you chose to make it for your family. Have a wonderful week <3 ~Marion

      Delete
  11. Looks so good! Wish the recipe was printable.Definitely want to make.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Barb, it's a lot of extra work to offer the recipes in a printable version right on the website. I would have to charge for that, so instead, I write the recipe where you can work right from the directions on your device. I include the ingredient amounts in the directions so you don't have to scroll back up to the ingredients to see how much to use. You can just follow the instructions as written. However, if you'd like a printable copy, right now I am offering them at no charge if you email me at life_tastes_good@yahoo.com I'm happy to send you a printable version. I hope that helps :) Happy Sunday! ~Marion

      Delete
    2. I took a screen shot of the ingredients and instructions, emailed and printed. I like to work from paper like an old person!

      Delete
  12. I just finished making this recipe & tried to make the best out of the things I have in my fridge. Substitute ground beef with ground turkey. For the Tzatziki sauce, I didn't have any dill or included the lemon juice... it came out so yummy! I can only imagine how it taste with beef & all the ingredients listed. Thank you for this! My roommate enjoyed it as well. Im so happy it fixed my cravings and fits my Macros.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY! I'm so glad you both liked it. Thank you so much for sharing your results. Truly makes my whole day to hear this! Have an awesome week ~Marion

      Delete
  13. Wow!! Made this tonight for dinner- they were SO GOOD!! I substituted with ground turkey and used whole wheat flatbread- only changes since that's what I had. Can't wait to eat the rest for lunch !!! Thanks for sharing a great recipe! ~Catia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is music to my ears, Catia! I'll have to give this a try with the ground turkey. Sounds delish. Thanks so much for sharing, and I'm so happy you love it as much as we do. Have a wonderful weekend! ~Marion

      Delete
  14. I made this tonight and used butter lettuce leaves instead of pita. it was delicious. i would definitely make it again. very healthy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! So glad you enjoyed the recipe! Have a super week ~Marion

      Delete
    2. Butter lettuce leaves! Thanks for mentioning this, djwilly123. I have a GF family member and was wondering what to substitute as most of the GF flatbreads we have tried are kind of "ugh". We try to substitute "real" food- Not only are they usually less expensive, but always taste better. I know we will all like this! Thanks again! (And thank you Marion for posting this recipe! I am looking forward to making this for my family!)

      Delete
  15. I made this for dinner tonight and it was SO GOOD! Tasted just like a gyro I would get in a restaurant. It's definitely going on the regular rotation at my house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome Lisa!! Thanks so much for stopping by to let me know. You made my day :) ~Marion

      Delete
  16. Found this on pinterest. Made it and loved it!!! Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so exciting to hear! Thanks for sharing & I'm so so glad you loved it!! Have a great weekend ~Marion

      Delete
  17. Thanks girl ! It was amazing as all your recipes 💕

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Courtney! You are the sweetest to day so. This makes me so happy you enjoy my recipes. Have a wonderful weekend! ~Marion

      Delete
  18. I made these tonight for friends who were over for supper. I won't lie - I expected to like them but not love them as I'm not a big eater of Greek food. Oh how wrong I was. These were fantastic! Everyone, including a 1 yr old and a 2.5 yr old, LOVED them. Rave reviews and a request for the recipe. Thank you so much for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy you liked it! This is one of my faves & it makes me so happy that so many others feel the same. You put a big smile on my face! Thank you for stopping by with your kind words!! Have a super weekend ~Marion

      Delete
  19. Quick question. Can you skip the breadcrumbs altogether?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can sub almond flour for the breadcrumbs. I hope that helps! ~Marion

      Delete
  20. I made it and uses Armour premade meatballs came out divine! it's a favorite in our house as of today. Thanks for sharing this recipe it really taught me to explore different seasonings with fresh herbs and spices.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's wonderful to hear! Thank you for stopping by to let me know - you made my day :)

      Delete
  21. I'm going out right now to by the ingredients to do this.

    Thank you so very much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are most welcome! I hope you love this recipe as much as we do! Thanks for stopping by, Gregory :) Have a wonderful week ~Marion

      Delete
  22. My family loves this meal! Subbed ground round for ground chuck and added a splash of lemon juice to the tzatziki sauce. Also prepped the salad well ahead so the salt could work on the veggies. Everything came out great. My son says we should open a family restaurant and serve only this. My wife says it's only 6 points on weight watchers if you leave out the flat bread. Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Papa R this is the best comment! Thanks for stopping by. You made my day with your kind words. I am so happy your family loves this recipe, and I would totally come eat at that restaurant hahaha Have a super week! ~Marion

      Delete
  23. Can you give the nutritional value of one serving and how much one serving is? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debi, this recipe makes 4 servings with approximately 355 calories and 9 grams of fat per serving. This will vary depending on the ingredients you use as different brands of things like yogurt or the flatbread will have different counts, but I hope this helps. Have a great week ~Marion

      Delete
  24. No one in our house likes meatballs. We've tried all kinds and never like them. We bought 1/2 a cow though and have a lot of ground beef, so I've been trying lots of ground beef recipes. I wasn't expecting any of us to particularity like these, but we all really really liked them. It's a keeper!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great news! I'm so glad this recipe worked out for you. It's definitely one of our faves. Fresh ingredients make all the difference in meatballs. If you want to try a more Italian style meatball to pair with red sauce, I recommend using fresh basil like I do in my Easy Meatball recipe. It really adds a ton of flavor. Thanks for stopping by and letting me know you enjoyed this recipe. You made my day :) Have a super week ~Marion

      Delete
  25. As a college student studying nutrition, I LOVE this recipe. Easy to make ahead, healthy, and most importantly delicious! My parents also loved it, when I made it for them recently. Perfect recipe for a hot summer day; thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for taking the time to let me know how much you enjoyed the gyros! I really appreciate your kind words, and I'm so happy everyone liked it. It is definitely a family favorite. Thanks again for stopping by ~Marion

      Delete
  26. I love this recipe! The only thing I have changed is to use ground lamb instead of ground beef. It’s a little pricey, but tastes more like traditional gyros to me! Thank you for the recipe! It’s one of our favorites now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy you love this recipe, Beckie! It is one of our faves too! Thanks so much for stopping by to let me know :) Have a super week ~Marion

      Delete
  27. Phenomenal recipe! Added a bit of dried mint and Greek oregano to the meatballs. Prepped everything in the morning, including meatballs which I kept refrigerated until ready to bake...so that added a few minutes to bake time. Served with Greek orzo pasta salad. Perfect for following the Mediterranean diet! This is a keeper!! Thank you! ❤️❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you love it, EvaMarie! Those are great additions, and I'm glad prepping early worked out for you. I love to do that with the meatballs to let all the flavors mingle for a bit. These meatballs are flavorful, but prepping ahead really amps it up! Thanks for taking the time to let me know you enjoyed it. Made my day! Have a great week ~Marion

      Delete
  28. This used to have breadcrumbs instead of pork rinds, right? How much breadcrumbs?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Vanessa, yes, I switched to crushed pork rinds as they add flavor and help to keep the meatballs tender and juicy, so I highly recommend giving them a try, however, if you prefer you may substitute 1/4 cup breadcrumbs or fresh bread torn (preferred) into very small pieces. It's a great way to use up leftover garlic bread if you have any! I hope that helps. Have a great week ~Marion

      Delete
  29. I make this often, esp in the summer when we have our own fresh, more flavorful veggies. Because I always double it, I use 1 lb beef & 1 lb lamb (usually just use breadcrumbs but have also done the pork rinds); serve it up on homemade naan or pita. It's a family fav!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A fave of ours too and the summer veggies are the best! Great idea to double it using the lamb - I'll have to give that a try next time :) Thanks, Cheree! Have a super weekend ~Marion

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting and sharing your thoughts! Comments are moderated, so I don't miss anything. I like to read each and every one!

When you leave a comment on a blog post, please be aware that the comment is then public and visible to anyone who reads the comment section. Your email address is never shared or disclosed, but your name and comment will be visible to others. You may choose to leave your comment anonymously. It is highly recommended that you avoid leaving detailed personal information in your comments. For more information please read Life Tastes Good's Privacy Policy before leaving a comment > Life Tastes Good's Privacy Policy

I reserve the right to remove comments deemed as inappropriate, threatening, profane, or spammy without notice.

Thanks! I hope it's a great day!! ~Marion

>