Nov 16, 2012

Chicken Cordon Bleu


Recipe adapted from allrecipes.com Chicken Cordon Bleu II

This is a wonderful recipe!! Whenever boneless, skinless chicken breasts go on sale I buy some up just for this recipe!  I do not normally like cooking with boneless skinless chicken breasts simply because they typically turn out dry and tasteless. Of course they do - someone has taken away exactly what gives them flavor - the bones and the skin!  However, this recipe cannot be made with chicken on the bone, but don't despair it is juicy and flavorful because of the ham, cheese, and deliciously wonderful wine sauce! You'll want to have plenty of bread for dipping in this sauce - let me tell you - it is so good!

Prior to trying this recipe, I had never made Chicken Cordon Bleu in a saucepan; I had always made it in the oven, which is something I will NEVER do again.  So don't be afraid to try this - I am sure you will agree that this is a genius way of making such a wonderfully impressive dish!

I like to serve this with Orzo Spinach and Parmesan Pasta, but it would be equally delicious with Sauteed Garlic Spinach on Mashed Potatoes! The sauce from this recipe and the mashed potatoes - yummmm. Now my  mouth is watering....







 I changed some of the ingredients just a bit:

Ingredients



  • 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
  • 4 cubes Swiss cheese (or your favorite cheese.)
  • 4 slices ham
  • 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon paprika
  • salt and pepper
  • 4 tablespoons butter
  • 1/2 cup dry white wine
  • 1 teaspoon chicken base
  • 1 tablespoon cornstarch
  • 1 cup heavy whipping cream

Directions


Pound chicken breasts to have a large breast that will be easy to roll. I get a large sheet of parchment paper and fold it in half. I put a chicken breast in between the 2 halves so there is parchment on top and on the bottom of the chicken breast, and then I pound thin. Not too thin so as the chicken starts to fall apart. You just want to make it a good roll-able size. I like to pound all the chicken out first and let it dry out a bit. It just makes it easier with which to work (IMO). 
Place a cheese and ham slice on each breast within 1/2 inch of the edges. NOTE: For the cheese I like to use a block of cheese (such as the cracker barrel cheeses), so I can cut about a 1/2 inch thick slice - that way it doesn't melt too quickly and melt out of the chicken. Roll the chicken over the filling, and secure with toothpicks. Mix the flour and paprika with about a 1/2 teaspoon salt and a 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a small bowl; coat the chicken pieces.
Heat the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat, and cook the chicken until browned on all sides. Add the wine and chicken base. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 20-30 minutes, until center reaches 160 degrees F (use an instant read thermometer).
Remove the toothpicks, and transfer the breasts to a warm platter. Blend the cornstarch with the cream in a small bowl, and whisk slowly into the skillet. Cook, stirring until thickened, and pour over the chicken. It should thicken pretty quickly. Serve warm.





6 comments:

  1. See....here we go again! I JUST made this last week! It is one of my fave recipes from allrecipe! I like it with brown rice.

    Whats cookin' for the weekend??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can read your mind mwahahaha!! Nothing much exciting this weeked - Last night I made my mom's secret roast recipe - it's Madison's fave! Today we are making an apple pie braided pastry (in the oven now!), and Mads is craving pizza so we'll order some from her favorite place.

      Delete
  2. Just made this and it was a huge hit. Absolutely delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of our faves too, Siobhan! Thank you for stopping by to let me know! I'm so glad you enjoyed it. That wine sauce is addicting!!

      Delete
  3. Hi Marion, I love chicken cordon bleu. It's so flavorful and it makes any weeknight meal a special occasion. Thanks for sharing your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've tried it many ways and this is by far our fave! Thanks for stopping by, Joanne!

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting and sharing your thoughts! Comments are moderated, so I don't miss anything. I like to read each and every one!

When you leave a comment on a blog post, please be aware that the comment is then public and visible to anyone who reads the comment section. Your email address is never shared or disclosed, but your name and comment will be visible to others. You may choose to leave your comment anonymously. It is highly recommended that you avoid leaving detailed personal information in your comments. For more information please read Life Tastes Good's Privacy Policy before leaving a comment > Life Tastes Good's Privacy Policy

I reserve the right to remove comments deemed as inappropriate, threatening, profane, or spammy without notice.

Thanks! I hope it's a great day!! ~Marion

>