Jul 11, 2012

July 12th - July 18th


Summer is well underway here in Florida!  The heat is on, and it has definitely changed my view on cooking! I haven't been sticking to my menus as religiously as I normally do, and the hubs has taken notice. He used to check the blog to see what was for dinner, but lately he feels it is all a farce! Poor guy. I am going to try to do better this week.  The menu is really shaping up to be great this week, so it shouldn't be too hard to stick with it - even in the heat.  

I am really enjoying having Madison home. Instead of cooking, we've been focusing our efforts on redecorating the living room.  Madison is taking the old furniture to school in the fall (thank goodness!), so I've been busy scouring furniture stores for all new stuff! I think we've decided on 2 sofas and a chair, but I am having a difficult time making the commitment.  It is such a big purchase, and I know I will have it for years to come, so I want to make sure I am making a good decision. Somehow, in my mind, thinking about it for weeks is supposed to make me more sure of my decision.... Anyhow, we did commit to some great pillows, lamps and a coffee table... it's a start

Cute Pillows and the fabric sample is what we are thinking for the new furniture

Another Cute Pillow

Lamps (still need an entry table on which to set them...)

Coffee Table


So that is what we've been working on lately instead of making dinner.  This week I want to look for some drapery panels and maybe finally get that furniture ordered!  I think I need to go look at it one more time...

Thursday - French Dip Sandwiches and French Fries (get the fries baked before making the sandwiches)
Roast Beef is on sale this week and these sandwiches are easy to make and really yummy.  You'll need 1lb rare roast beef, 1 can french onion soup, 4 onion kaiser rolls, 4 slices swiss, provolone, or whatever cheese you prefer.  Heat the french onion soup in a sauce pan with 1/2 a can of water. Add the roast beef and heat through. Meanwhile toast the rolls in the oven. When toasted top with roast beef and a spoonful of the soup. Add cheese on top of the meat and melt in the oven.  Serve with extra juice and french fries.


SaturdayChicken Pot Pie  (Madison has a craving)


Monday - Leftover night


Wednesday - Leftover night

Shopping List

Bakery
4 Onion Kaiser Rolls

Deli
1 lb rare Roast Beef (Boars Head top round is on sale, but I prefer the Publix Bottom Round and it is more likely less expensive than the Boars Head)
4-6 Slices of your favorite ham (for the chicken cordon bleu)

Produce
Lime Juice
Garlic
Fresh Ginger (ginger is expensive so only buy a small piece - you can break off what you need. I suggest about a thumb sized piece)
Cilantro
a handful of slivered or sliced carrots (I usually buy them already slivered, but you can do your own with 1-2 carrots - however much you prefer)
Onion x2
Fresh parsley
Fresh Chives
Yukon Gold Potatoes
Celery
1 (8oz) pack of sliced fresh mushrooms (baby bellos are on sale at Publix for $1.69)
Bag of Baby Spinach (I'll use fresh spinach in the ravioli, but you can buy frozen if you prefer)

Dairy
Butter
4 Slices Swiss Cheese (you can also use provolone or whatever your fave is for the French Dip sandwiches)
4-6 Slices Swiss Cheese (for the chicken cordon bleu)
Milk
Eggs
Cream Cheese (at least 4 ounces)
Shaved Parmesan Cheese (at least 1/3 cup)
Mozzarella Cheese shredded (at least 1/2 cup)
Heavy Whipping Cream (at least 1 cup)

Extras
Extra Virgin Olive Oil - First cold pressed (I like Lucini Brand)
Balsamic Vinegar
Honey
White rice (at least 1.5 uncooked)
Chicken broth (at least 5 cups or you can use water and chicken base - you'll need 5 teaspoons chicken base)
Chicken Bouillon (you'll need 1 tsp or you can use 1 tsp chicken base)
1 can French Onion Soup
2 (9") unbaked pie crusts
1/2 Cup Dry White Wine

Spices
Salt
Pepper
Sugar
Garlic Powder
All-purpose Flour
Celery Seed
Cayenne Pepper
Paprika
Cornstarch

Frozen
Bag of Green Peas

Meat
1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts (On sale for 1.99/lb at Publix)
4-6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (On sale for 1.99/lb at Publix)

Fish
1 lb Yellowfin Tuna Fillets (on sale for $9.99/lb this week at Publix - this will feed 4)
NOTE:  I should have known $9.99/lb was too good to be true for the Ahi Tuna! I got to the fish counter and saw it is actually $9.99/each!  This is still a decent price, but I decided to use the frozen Tuna I picked up for $6.99 - bag of 2 steaks.  I figure with the delicious glaze this is still going to be yummy, and I can keep it cost effective as well. 












No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for visiting and sharing your thoughts! Comments are moderated, so I don't miss anything. I like to read each and every one!

When you leave a comment on a blog post, please be aware that the comment is then public and visible to anyone who reads the comment section. Your email address is never shared or disclosed, but your name and comment will be visible to others. You may choose to leave your comment anonymously. It is highly recommended that you avoid leaving detailed personal information in your comments. For more information please read Life Tastes Good's Privacy Policy before leaving a comment > Life Tastes Good's Privacy Policy

I reserve the right to remove comments deemed as inappropriate, threatening, profane, or spammy without notice.

Thanks! I hope it's a great day!! ~Marion

>