Jun 28, 2012

June 28th - July 4th



Thursday - Spaghetti and Meatballs with a garden salad.  Gia Russa Pasta Sauce is on the BOGO Free sale.  This is my favorite jarred sauce. I usually make my own, but when this is on sale I snatch it up because it is on the expensive side typically.  This sauce is lower in carbs than most and has a great flavor - try it and let me know what you think!  Muellers Pasta is also on the BOGO Free sale!  You can also pick up a fresh  baguette for just $1 at the bakery!  They are on sale 10 for $10, but you can buy just one!


Friday - Blackened Tuna Steaks with Mango Salsa and a salad.  I have not tested this recipe, but it has a lot of great reviews. I really want to incorporate more fish in our diet, so I'm going for it. Tuna Steaks are on sale this week at Publix. Hopefully this will be a fish recipe I can eat - I'm not a fan of the fishy stuff. I'll let you know how we like it.  Mangoes are on sale too! NOTE: I usually like to make a recipe exactly as stated the first time, but I fear the heat in this dish might be a little much for me, so I am going to reduce the cayenne by 1/2 and probably the paprika too - then I'll taste it and make any necessary adjustments according to my tastes. Avocados are on sale, so I will add one to the salsa (I LOVE Avocados). I am also going to halve this recipe to serve just 2 people (I don't want leftovers in case we don't like it)


Saturday - Date night! 

SundayLondon Broil with a garden salad.  
London Broil is not a tender cut of meat by any stretch of the imagination, however, if you marinate it overnight and cut it thin enough (I use an electric knife for this), you can have a nice low-carb meal at a great price. It is on sale this week for $3.99/lb, so I'm going to pick some up and marinate it in Italian Dressing (A vinaigrette type dressing - not the creamy kind. I usually buy whatever is on sale - Kraft is on the BOGO Free sale this week).  


Directions
On Saturday (or the day before you plan to make this) score the meat by making diagonal slits about 1/8-1/4 inch deep across the top of the steak (depending on how thick your steak is) - then make a 2nd set of diagonal slits to make crisscross diamond shapes. Turn over and repeat this scoring technique. Place in a large glass container; salt and pepper generously on both sides and pour about 1/2 - 3/4 cup of dressing on the meat. Turn to coat well.  Let marinate in the fridge overnight.


I always like to let meat come to room temp before cooking to ensure it cooks evenly throughout, so I take this out of the fridge  a couple hours before I plan to make it. There are several ways you can prepare this steak, but you should always cook it hot and fast to a maximum of mid-rare for optimum flavor.  First things first - throw out the marinade. I generally like to sear it in a very hot oven-safe pan (coated with a little olive oil). Sear for 1-2 minutes on both sides and then place in a pre-heated 425 degree (F) oven for about 5 minutes - longer for a thicker cut of meat. Remove from pan and let rest for 10 minutes (on a plate or cutting board) and then slice as thinly as possible on the bias (crosswise at a 45 degree angle).  If you don't feel you have a pan large enough  you can also broil it on high, but searing first is great for adding flavor. Broil usually 5-7 mins each side depending on the thickness of the cut.  Remember when broiling to always leave your oven door ajar and turn the exhaust fan on high. No matter how you cook it be sure you have your instant-read thermometer on hand to check the temp. I cook this between 120 and 125 degrees (F) and let rest for 10 mins. I prefer closer to the 120 degree temp. Grilling is an excellent way to cook this as well!  
NOTE: Make up a chimichurri sauce early in the day and it will pair nicely with this! (Be sure to add the ingredients to the shopping list if you plan for this)



MondayBBQ Chicken Sandwiches and Coleslaw.  Love these Sandwiches! I don't like the coleslaw in the recipe. I stick with our fave Sweet Restaurant Slaw!  Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ Sauce is on the BOGO Free sale this week, so pick up 2 of them and keep one in the pantry. We LOVE the sweet and spicy sauce!


Tuesday - This is definitely going to be a leftover night for us so nothing goes to waste. We will have plenty of leftovers in the fridge this week I'm sure.


Fourth of July Wednesday - I haven't discussed holiday plans with Don yet, so I'm not sure what we are doing for the 4th, but with the sales this week I would suggest buying the pork spareribs for 1.99/lb and making slow cooker bbq ribs and coleslaw.  If the weather cooperates and you really want to get outside and bbq, ground chuck is on sale - so burgers are the obvious choice - I would go with the Guacamole Cilantro Lime Burger because they have SO much flavor, and I think I've decided they are my fave! Ball Park Beef Franks are on the BOGO Free sale this week too and hot dog buns are on sale in the bakery!  and Sweet Georgia Corn on the Cob is on sale 12 for $3 (remember you don't have to buy 12 pieces to get the sale price. If you buy just 4 pieces of corn it will be just $1, 8 pieces will be $2, see where I'm going here...)  


NOTE:  If you are using the grocery list on here, be sure to add what you need for your 4th of July celebration.  Don't forget dessert! These cupcakes are da bomb! 


Shopping List


Bakery
Baguette (on sale 10 for $10 - you can just buy 1 for $1)
Buns for the BBQ Chicken Sandwiches. I usually buy the regular hamburger buns (Bonus - they are on sale this week - 8 count package is $2.29)


Produce
Onion x4
Garlic x2
Green onion
Cilantro
Basil
Mango (BOGO Free sale)
Avocados (on sale 2 for $3)
Limes x2 (on sale 5 for $1, but you get the sale price when you buy just 2, so they should be just 20 cents each! yay!)
Small red bell pepper
Jalapeno
1 (160z) bag of coleslaw mix
Extra for me because we love pineapple - Pineapple, peeled and cored (on sale for $2.99)


Spices (most will have these on hand already - so check your spices!)
  • Paprika
  • Cayenne pepper
  • Onion powder
  • Salt
  • Ground black pepper
  • Dried thyme
  • Dried basil
  • Dried oregano
  • Garlic powder
Sugar

Dairy
Milk 
Eggs

Extras
Canola Oil
Olive Oil (I like the Lucini Brand - it's expensive, but worth it!)
1 bottle of your favorite bbq sauce (Sweet Baby Ray's is on the BOGO Free sale this week. I always use the Sweet and Spicy - yummm)
Miracle Whip (you  need at least 2/3 cup)
White vinegar
Italian Dressing (Kraft is on the BOGO Free sale this week)
1 cup dry Italian bread crumbs
Spaghetti Noodles (Muellers is on the BOGO Free sale this week)
Gia Russo Spaghetti sauce (BOGO Free sale) I like the tomato basil the best

Extras I need: 
Bread - Nature's Own ButterBread is on the BOGO Free sale this week. Don prefers the honey wheat, but he's getting the butterbread this week!
Mayonnaise
Jif Peanut Butter (is there any other brand?)
Cokes (On sale buy 2 get 2 free)
Gain liquid laundry detergent is on sale
Crest toothpaste is on sale 10 for $10!
Little swimmies (the dog is getting old and needs diapers - someone suggested trying these on him...I'm game for anything to save my floors from his accidents.  Poor little guy)

Meats
1 Whole cut-up Fryer Chicken
2 lb London broil
2 lbs Ground round
2 Tuna Steaks (1 for each person you are serving)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for visiting and sharing your thoughts! Comments are moderated, so I don't miss anything. I like to read each and every one!

When you leave a comment on a blog post, please be aware that the comment is then public and visible to anyone who reads the comment section. Your email address is never shared or disclosed, but your name and comment will be visible to others. You may choose to leave your comment anonymously. It is highly recommended that you avoid leaving detailed personal information in your comments. For more information please read Life Tastes Good's Privacy Policy before leaving a comment > Life Tastes Good's Privacy Policy

I reserve the right to remove comments deemed as inappropriate, threatening, profane, or spammy without notice.

Thanks! I hope it's a great day!! ~Marion

>