How would you like to have a family favorite dinner that cooks in 30 minutes, requires very little prep, and there's only one pan to clean up after? You'd want that recipe right away, amIright? My Roasted Chicken and Vegetables IS that recipe! You'll want to add this to the menu every week!
One of our absolute favorite fall meals is my Whole Roasted Chicken with Vegetables. Seasonally fresh ingredients like butternut squash and spinach are loaded with amazing flavors and good for you too! Paired with savory roasted chicken, the flavors work together wonderfully.
For a weeknight family meal, my Whole Roasted Chicken and Vegetables is a bit time consuming, so I re-imagined this family favorite and turned it into a one pan wonder that's ready in a fraction of the time! Less time cooking means more time connecting with my family over a delicious meal around the table. These are the moments that matter most to me!
Instead of using a whole chicken, I substituted chicken thighs (with skin-on and bone-in) that cook much more quickly than a whole chicken. Instead of cooking this recipe in a skillet, I used a sheet pan which has much more room. With the added room, I was able to add more spinach, mushrooms, and even some shallots to give this recipe more depth of flavor. The mushrooms added an earthy flavor to the already savory chicken which balanced out the sweetness of the butternut squash nicely.
To round out our family meal, I paired this recipe with Lipton iced tea. Living in Florida, we drink iced tea with just about every meal. It's refreshing and, depending on what flavor you choose, you can add an exciting flavor that pairs well with the meal. I chose Lipton Green Tea Citrus flavor iced tea to add brightness to the flavor profile of this dish. Combined, everything worked together so well, and the tea was a refreshing addition everyone in the family could enjoy.
For more inspired meal ideas, visit the FoodNetwork's #BrightBites page where you'll find easy recipes and meal ideas to help you make memories with your friends and family.
Recipe Prep Tips
- While the oven is preheating, use a vegetable peeler to peel the skin off the butternut squash. Cut the ends off the squash and cut it in half lengthwise. Remove the seeds and pulp and then slice into 1 inch cubes.
- Peel and slice the shallots, as well as the garlic.
- After drizzling the olive oil, herbs, & seasonings onto the vegetables, use your hands and toss the vegetables to ensure they are evenly coated.
- Spread the vegetables out into a single layer on the sheet pan.
- Brush the chicken with olive oil, and season with herbs, salt, and pepper, being sure to coat evenly.
- Place the chicken right on top of the vegetables and roast in the oven until the chicken is cooked through and the vegetables are tender.
- After removing from the oven, add the spinach and stir to combine. The spinach will wilt from the heat. Serve and enjoy!
Life Tastes Good just like it should with FREE recipes delivered to your inbox
Click here to subscribe
Cook time: 30 mins.
Prep Time: 15 mins.
Roasted Chicken and Vegetables Recipe
My Roasted Chicken and Vegetables Recipe is a family favorite that's ready in 30 minutes, requires very little prep, and there's only one pan to clean up! Winner!
- 2 lbs butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and diced (about 4 cups)
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup sliced shallots
- 1 teaspoon freshly minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme
- salt and pepper to your liking
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 chicken thighs, bone-in and skin-on
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- salt and pepper to you liking
- 9 ounces fresh spinach leaves
- Preheat the oven to 475°F
- Place 4 cups diced butternut squash on the sheet tray with 8 ounces of sliced mushrooms, 1/2 cup sliced shallots, and 1 teaspoon freshly minced garlic. Sprinkle on 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves and season with salt and pepper to your liking. Drizzle 1 tablespoon olive oil on vegetables. Use your hands to toss the vegetables to ensure they are evenly coated.
- Place the chicken thighs on top of the vegetables in a single layer. Brush the chicken thighs with 1 tablespoon olive oil, dividing the oil evenly to coat the chicken. Sprinkle the chicken with 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, dividing the thyme evenly on the chicken pieces. Season the chicken with salt and pepper to your liking.
- Place the baking sheet in the oven and roast the chicken and vegetables for 30-40 minutes until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165°F in the thickest part of the thigh. To get a crispier skin on the chicken, turn on the broiler for the last 2-3 minutes, but watch it carefully so it doesn't burn.
- When the chicken is cooked through, remove it from the sheet pan and set aside. Add 9 ounces of fresh spinach to the sheet pan and stir to wilt the spinach. Give the vegetables a taste and season as needed to your liking. Stir to combine the vegetables and serve with the chicken. Enjoy!
Prep Time: 15 mins.
Total time: 45 mins.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Lipton. The opinions and text are all mine.