Disclosure: Life Tastes Good is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program. Please note: This post may contain affiliate links. I earn a small commission, at no extra cost to you, to help with blog expenses when you make a purchase through an affiliate link. Thank you for your support!
A taco is a traditional Mexican dish loaded with familiar flavors such as seasoned ground beef, beans, cheese, and vegetables all wrapped up in a handy tortilla making them easy to pick up and eat with your hands! Tacos are very versatile and can be made with a variety of flavors and textures. I am a big fan of soft tacos made with flour tortillas, which is probably why I'm a huge fan of this Taco Pie. Although, the tortilla gets a little crispy while baking, that slightly crispy crunch adds a nice touch to this Taco Pie!
NOTE: Scroll down past my photo tutorial for the ingredient list with directions.
To make this recipe, preheat the oven to 375°F and spray a 9" pie plate with cooking spray. Brown 1/2 pound ground chuck with 1/2 cup finely diced onions and 1/2 tablespoon minced garlic. Season it with 1/2 tablespoon chili powder, 1 teaspoon cumin, and 1/2 teaspoon paprika, as well as salt and pepper to taste. I usually have those seasonings on hand, but if you prefer to use a store-bought taco seasoning it will work just fine. I recommend using 1/2 of a packet of taco seasoning and be sure to taste the meat mixture before adding salt.
Place a large 10" flour tortilla in the bottom of the pie plate. It will go up the sides a little too. Spread the refried beans on the bottom of the flour tortilla. I used traditional refried beans, but I recently saw a can of refried black beans and would like to try that next time. Either will work in this recipe and each will bring their own unique flavor to the dish, so don't be afraid to mix it up for a change of pace.
Top the beans with the seasoned meat mixture...
and place the remaining 10" flour tortilla on top gently pressing down at the edges.
Bake in the preheated oven for 10-15 minutes until slightly browned.
Top with 1/2 cup of salsa...
and 1 cup shredded cheese...
as well as 1/2 cup diced tomatoes, 1/4 cup chopped green onions, and 1 to 2 tablespoons diced jalapenos...
Bake in the preheated oven for another 5 minutes or until cheese is melted nicely.
Garnish with chopped cilantro and serve with sour cream and Simple Guacamole. Enjoy!!
Life Tastes Good just like it should with FREE recipes delivered to your inbox
Click here to subscribe
Cook time: 20 mins.
Prep Time: 10 mins.
- 1/2 pound ground chuck
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/2 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 (16 ounce) can of refried beans
- 2 (10 inch) flour tortillas
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1 cup shredded Mexican Cheese Blend
- 1/2 cup freshly diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1 to 2 tablespoons finely diced jalapeno peppers
- Chopped cilantro for garnish
- Sour cream
- Simple Guacamole
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Spray a 9" pie plate with cooking spray.
- Heat a skillet over mid-high heat and brown 1/2 pound ground chuck. Season beef with 1/2 tablespoon chili powder, 1 teaspoon ground cumin, 1/2 teaspoon paprika, 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, & 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper. Add 1/2 cup diced onions and 1/2 tablespoon freshly minced garlic. Cook until the meat is browned all the way through and the fat is absorbed.
- Place one 10" tortilla in the pie plate allowing the tortilla to cover the bottom of the pie plate and go up the sides. Top with 8 ounces refried beans. Spread to cover the tortilla evenly across the bottom of the pie plate. Spoon the meat mixture over the beans and spread evenly. Place the 2nd tortilla on top of the meat mixture and press down around the sides gently. Bake in the preheated oven for about 10-15 minutes until slightly browned.
- Remove from the oven and spread 1/2 cup salsa over the top of the tortilla. Sprinkle with 1 cup shredded cheese and spread the diced tomatoes over top of the cheese evenly. Top with 1/4 cup chopped green onions and 2 tablespoons finely diced jalapeno peppers. Bake for another 5 minutes or until the cheese is melted to your liking.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool. Garnish with freshly chopped cilantro and serve with sour cream and Simple Guacamole. Enjoy!
Prep Time: 10 mins.
Total time: 30 mins.
Tags: Easy Taco Pie Recipe, Mexican, Budget-Friendly, Easy Recipe, Fresh, Vegetables, Beef, Cheese, Dinner, Tortilla
recipe adapted from allrecipes Jimmy's Mexican Pizza