The prep for this recipe is basically slicing up the zucchini, some onion, and mincing some garlic. Everything goes into one pot with some chicken broth and simmers until the zucchini is tender, so about 15-20 minutes. Give it all a whirl in the blender, serve it up, and enjoy! It is fresh and flavorful, easy to make, good for you, and budget-friendly too! You can't beat that! Try serving this with Parmesan Crisps for an added flavor boost. Parmesan Crisps are surprisingly simple to make and can be done while the soup is simmering. Click here for the recipe.
Zucchini is a summer squash, however it is typically available year round. Zucchini is low in calories and carbohydrates, and a good source of vitamin C, vitamin B6, riboflavin, and manganese.
When purchasing, look for small to medium sized zucchini with bright colored skin and a smooth surface that is firm to the touch. Although it can grow quite large if allowed to mature, most zucchini are between 5-7 inches in length when picked to ensure a sweeter fruit. Yes, you heard me right! Zucchini is a fruit. Although, we typically treat it as a vegetable, I do recall my high school science teacher trying to shock us all by revealing the fact that it has seeds, so it is indeed a fruit.
I love how versatile zucchini is! It can be used a variety of ways in sweet and savory dishes. Have you tried my Shrimp Scampi Zoodles? Or how about this dessert recipe for Chocolate Zucchini Cake by Real Housemoms? I am looking forward to trying that recipe!! Although, my kiddo is grown and would gobble up a Chocolate Zucchini Cake with no complaints, I think it is a genius way of sneaking some good-for-you-stuff in the kids. They'll never know it's in there! So, have I convinced you to hit the produce stand and stock up on zucchini?! I'm definitely picking some up to give that cake a try... right after I finish my bowl of Zucchini Soup <wink>
Life Tastes Good just like it should with FREE recipes delivered to your inbox
Click here to subscribe
Zucchini Soup Recipe
- 2-3 medium zucchini, cut into chunks
- 1 small white onion, quartered
- 2-3 garlic cloves, smashed
- 24 ounces of water
- 1 tablespoon of chicken base
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- sour cream
- freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Extra virgin olive oil
- In a stock pot combine zucchini chunks, onion, 2-3 garlic cloves, 24 ounces of water, 1 tablespoon chicken base, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce heat to mid-low. Simmer until the zucchini is tender, about 15-20 minutes. You may sub in 24 ounces of chicken broth in place of the water and chicken base.
- I use my Smart Stick to blend right in the stock pot until smooth, but you can carefully transfer the contents of the pot to a blender and blend until smooth. When blending hot liquid, be very careful. Put a kitchen towel over the lid to hold the lid in place and blend on low.
- Give it a taste and add salt and pepper as needed. Add a tablespoon or two of sour cream and blend until combined. Give it a taste and add more sour cream to your liking.
- Transfer to serving bowls and garnish with freshly grated Parmesan cheese and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil. Serve and enjoy!
Prep Time: 5 mins.
Total time: 25 mins.
Tags: Zucchini Soup, Summer, Starter, Appetizer, Main, Dinner, Easy Recipe, Fresh, Healthy, Low Carb
Check out Life Tastes Good's Soup Page for more delicious recipes like this...