This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #GameTimeGrub #CollectiveBias
Pittsburgh Style Sandwich is a homemade version of that delicious sandwich made famous by the Primanti Bros. in Pittsburgh, PA. This sandwich is loaded with your favorite deli meat, cheese, french fries, coleslaw, and tomatoes all sandwiched between crusty thick Italian bread! Now that's a sandwich folks!
Do you tailgate at home? We love to gather round the TV in the coziness of our home with a huge spread of delicious, homemade appetizers and sandwiches. We have a big square coffee table and we pile on the food! We put pillows on the floor and crowd around the table to chow down while we cheer on our favorite team! I love the freedom of tailgating at home! It is a Sunday tradition in our house during football season, and it's fun coming up with new recipes to enjoy each week!
Nothing beats a good sandwich, and this Pittsburgh Style Sandwich doesn't disappoint! This is definitely going on the menu for the Big Game! Have you ever had french fries on your sandwich? If not, you really need to fix that! Your mouth will thank you! And don't forget the coleslaw! A nice vinegary coleslaw really compliments this sandwich! My mouth is watering just thinking about it!!
To make this sandwich you'll want to start with some thick Italian bread slices and top them with a bunch of your favorite deli meat. It's hard to give amounts for this sandwich as those will vary depending on how meaty you like your sandwich. I put about 1/4 pound of roast beef on it.
Top the meat with 2 slices of provolone (or your favorite cheese). There are no real rules here until we get to the french fries and coleslaw!
Now we're getting into what makes this sandwich special - THE FRIES!! No need to go to the trouble of making them homemade. Alexia Smart Classic Crinkle Cut Fries are amazing! They are loaded with real potato flavor and crisp up nicely when baked. Yes, baked!! I love that!!
Now we're talking! Look at that beautiful sandwich topped with those gorgeous crinkle cut fries! We aren't done yet! Add some coleslaw...
some freshly sliced 'maters....
and top it with the other slice of bread!
Don't forget the crunchy deliciousness of Alexia Onion Rings! I am crazy for onion rings y'all! I love them when they are done right, and these onion rings are done perfectly! The breading is delicious, and they bake up with the perfect amount of crisp! I serve them with all our sandwiches! I found the Alexia fries and onions rings in the freezer section of my local Walmart. Alexia has sweet potato fries too, y'all! So good!!
Will you be enjoying sandwich nirvana at your next game day party? Please leave me a message in the comments and let me know your ideas for a Big Game menu!
Pittsburgh Style Sandwich
- 1 (16 ounce) bag of coleslaw mix
- 1 tablespoon chopped onion
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 6 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
- salt and pepper to taste
- 8 slices thick cut Italian bread
- 1 pound roast beef (or your favorite deli meat)
- 8 slices provolone cheese (or your favorite cheese)
- a bag of Alexia Smart Classic Crinkle Cut French Fries, baked per directions on package
- 8 tomato slices
- Make the coleslaw ahead of time as it needs to sit in the fridge at least an hour before using. Making it a day ahead is best. To make the coleslaw combine 6 tablespoons sugar, 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar, and 6 tablespoons canola oil in a microwave safe bowl. Heat for 30 seconds and give it a stir. Keep heating and stirring until the sugar is dissolved.
- Allow to cool and then pour it over the coleslaw mix. Cover and refrigerate at least an hour. Overnight is best.
- To make the sandwich pile 1/4 of the roast beef onto a slice of Italian bread and top that with 2 slices of provolone cheese.
- Add a big heaping of freshly baked Alexia Crinkle Cut fries on top of the cheese.
- Top the french fries with about a 1/4 cup of the coleslaw. Add more or less to your liking.
- Top the coleslaw with 2 slices of a juicy tomato and place the other piece of Italian bread on top. Make all sandwiches in the same manner. Slice them in half and enjoy with some Alexia Onion Rings!
Prep Time: 10 mins.
Tags: Sandwich, Pittsburgh Style, Deli Meat, French Fries, Coleslaw, Homemade, Cheese, Football, Recipe, Tailgate, Big Game