This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #CollectiveBias
Applesauce Cupcakes are the taste of fall! I love everything about fall! The flavors, the colors, the clothes, the weather, you name it! I'm a fall kind a girl.
When fall is near I start to get a craving for all the delicious fall recipes, and apples are at the top of my list!
I know most people think of pumpkin this time of year, but I've never been big on pumpkin, personally. I'll make it for Don and Madison, but this girl prefers apples!!
Years ago I had a special recipe for an apple cake I would only make once each year. I don't remember why I only made it once each year, but we always looked forward to it!
These Applesauce Cupcakes are very similar to that apple cake I made all those years ago. The only real difference is they are in cupcake form, and I frosted them with a delicious and very easy to make meringue icing.
For the apple flavor in these cupcakes, I used Mott's Applesauce I found in the canned fruit aisle at Wal-Mart....
Then you put the sugar, softened butter, eggs and applesauce in the bowl of a food processor and let 'er whirl! You just need to pulse this a couple times until everything is combined nicely. I prefer using the food processor, because it is faster than the mixer, but a mixer will do just fine...
Next we combine the wet and dry ingredients with the apple juice and scoop the mixture into cupcake liners and pop them in the oven for about 20-25 minutes.
Thank you for visiting! Let's be social! Follow Life Tastes Good on Pinterest | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
- 2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup Mott's Natural Applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup Mott's 100% Apple Juice
- For the meringue frosting
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- a pinch of salt
- 2 egg whites, room temperature
- M&M's for decoration
- Heat oven to 325 degrees F and place cupcake liners in muffin tins
- In a large bowl whisk together 2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour, 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a food processor add 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened, 1 1/4 cups sugar, 3 eggs, 1/2 cup applesauce, and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Pulse until combined.
- Mix 1/3 of the butter mixture into the dry ingredients and mix by hand until just incorporated. Add 1/3 the apple juice and mix by hand until incorporated. Continue alternating dry ingredients and apple juice in this manner until all ingredients are just combined.
- Fill cupcake liners 2/3 full and bake in the pre-heated oven for 20-25 minutes or until the top of the cupcake springs back when pressed gently. Remove from oven and cool completely on wire rack.
- When the cupcakes are cooled and ready to be frosted, prepare the icing by heating 1/4 cup sugar, 1/4 cup light corn syrup, 3 tablespoons water, 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar, and a pinch of salt until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl with the whisk attachment, beat 2 eggs whites until foamy. With the mixer on medium speed, slowly pour the hot syrup mixture into the egg whites. Turn mixer on high speed and beat until stiff peaks form. This should only take 2-3 minutes depending on how powerful your mixer is, so watch it closely. Frost the cupcakes immediately. Decorate with an M&M and enjoy!
- For a maple flavored frosting I recommend replacing 1/2 the corn syrup with pure maple syrup.
Prep Time: 20 mins.
Total time: 45 mins.
Tags: Applesauce, Apple Juice, Cupcakes, Meringue, Frosting, Icing, Fall Recipes, Apple Recipes, M&M's®, Mott's
Meringue recipe inspired by allrecipes.com Unbaked Meringue