My Kefir Pudding Parfait is a healthy pudding you can feel good about eating and serving to your family.
Don and I LOVE creamilicious snacks, but we've been eating many that aren't so good for us. In an effort to incorporate healthier sweet treats that are creamy and delicious into our diet I turned to Kefir, a fermented milk product loaded with good-for-you stuff!
At Winn Dixie I found Lifeway Kefir cultured milk smooties in a variety of different flavors. I picked up the plain in hopes I could make some vanilla pudding for a fruit parfait. I wasn't sure if the Kefir would make a thick, rich, and creamy pudding, but I'm happy to report it did!! I am so excited about this!! Don and I can now enjoy healthier creamilicious sweet treats every day!
This parfait makes a great breakfast too! Kefir is loaded with 11 grams of protein in every cup! That is sure to keep you going!!
It also has vitamin A and vitamin D3 which is very important for our overall health. There is a serious epidemic of D3 deficiency worldwide which is speculated to be the cause of many ailments. I learned about this when my daughter was diagnosed with Melanoma at the tender age of 20. We had her D3 checked and found it to be ridiculously low, so it is important she incorporate D3 into her diet as much as possible. This smoothie is a great way to do that! I wrote a post about the possible link between a Vitamin D Deficiency and Melanoma if you'd like to read more on the dangers.
Other than having to pick up the Kefir and fresh fruit at Winn Dixie, I had everything else on hand to make the pudding. Here is what you'll need to make delicious #KefirCreations...
and this delicious, creamy, sweet treat is easy peasy. You just need about 20 minutes to make this 'healthier' homemade pudding! How great is that?!
Have you ever made homemade pudding? Which is your fave - chocolate or vanilla?
Kefir Pudding Parfait
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/4 cups LifeWay Kefir Cultured Milk Smoothie
- 3 large egg yolks, slightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- In a medium sized sauce pan placed over medium heat, combine 1/3 cup sugar, 2 tablespoons cornstarch, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Mix well and slowly add 1/4 cup of the LifeWay Kefir Cultured Milk Smoothie. Whisk until smooth.
- Whisk in 3 egg yolks and the remaining Kefir Milk. Cook over medium heat, whisking often, for about 5-6 minutes until the pudding starts to bubble and thickens.
- Once the pudding has started to thicken, reduce the heat to mid-low and continue to cook another 5 minutes or until the pudding is very thick. Pick up some pudding in a spoon and drizzle over the surface. When ribbons will form on the surface it's ready to go!
- Remove the pudding from the heat and stir in 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, cubed, and 2 teaspoons vanilla until well mixed.
- Immediately pour the pudding mixture through a fine mesh sieve into a large measuring cup. Don't skip this step!! I know the pudding will look smooth and lump free, but there will be some cornstarch lumps in there! Trust me on this! No one wants to eat cornstarch lumps, so be sure to put it through a strainer. It doesn't have to be a large one. You can see in the photo of the ingredients that I use a small one. Sometimes I even pour through the strainer right into the serving dish if I think I can do it without making a mess! Once strained, pour into your serving dishes being sure to leave room for the fruit and granola, and place a piece of saran wrap right onto the surface of the pudding. This will keep it from forming a skin. Refrigerate about 4 hours or overnight.
- Once the pudding is nicely chilled and you are ready to serve top each with some granola and fresh fruit. I used strawberries and bananas as you can see in the photos, but any fruit will be delicious. Enjoy!
Cook time: 20 mins.
Total time: 20 mins.
Tags: Kefir, Pudding, Parfait, LifeWay Kefir, Snack, Dessert, Healthy, Vanilla, Fruit, Granola
Thank you for visiting! Let's be social! Follow Life Tastes Good on Pinterest, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Bloglovin, and Google Plus