The first time I made this, Don declared he would never be able to eat store-bought salsa again! Pretty bold for someone who just has to enjoy it and doesn't have to do all the chopping, don't you think? <Smile>
I was at our local vegetable stand and all the tomatoes looked so good, it got me craving this salsa and also gave me a great idea for dinner - Grilled Chicken with fresh tomato salsa, avocados and pepper jack cheese! Doesn't that sound amazing?! Stay tuned for that recipe! You can see a preview of it on my Facebook page.
Just about any fresh, ripe tomato will do, but I used Roma tomatoes because they looked and smelled especially wonderful. Please feel free to use the best looking tomatoes you can find.
Although I give measurements in this recipe, you really need to just taste and adjust as you go. Use the recipe as a guide and make this to your specific tastes. There really is no right or wrong way as long as you LOVE it! Then use the salsa to top just about anything or sit down with a big bag of chips and enjoy!
Homemade Tomato Salsa Recipe
- 4 Roma tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 cup diced onions - I used a sweet Vidalia onion
- 3 Serrano Chiles, seeded and finely chopped
- 1/4 cup freshly chopped cilantro
- 1/2 tablespoon freshly minced garlic
- the juice of 1/2 a lime
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Taste as you go and adjust the flavors as needed.
- I recommend refrigerating before using to allow the flavors to mingle and intensify. Enjoy!
Prep Time: 10 mins.
Tags: appetizer, chips, dip, fresh, homemade, mexican, Salsa, snack, tomato, vegetables
recipe source: Fresh Tomato Salsa