Jun 15, 2014

Beef Short Rib Sandwich

Beef Short Rib Sandwich with caramelized onions and Fontina cheese is some serious Man Food y'all, but, hey, we girls like it too! <grin>

Beef Short Rib Sandwich | by Life Tastes Good  #ManFood #SundaySupper

Have I mentioned how much I love, love, love short ribs?! It really doesn't get much better than Beef Short Ribs! Short Ribs are da bomb! These babies practically cook themselves to perfection, always melt in your mouth, and are so amazingly flavorful.

You can serve these short ribs many ways, but I made them in sandwich form because, honestly, who can resist a toasty bun piled high with tender, juicy beef, oodles of caramelized onions and melty cheese? 

Did I mention these sandwiches are braised in a stout beer sauce? Yep! It gives the beef a deep, rich flavor that intensifies with age, so you can make the short ribs a day ahead and your sandwiches will taste even better! Perfection!

Happy Father's Day to all the wonderful dads and to the single moms who sometimes have to take on the role of dad. I hope you have a truly wonderful day enjoying your children. 

When Madison was younger we used to have a tradition where we would go out to breakfast with the whole family on Father's Day. One year Madison made a crown for Don for Father's Day. We carefully measured his head with string while he was sleeping <grin>, and I helped her cut out a crown shape from cardboard. She painted it yellow and glued on some shiny gems, and even glued on some cotton balls for fur trim! We went all out on this crown y'all! I was so happy to find this picture and share it with you! Man, I love these two!!


Beef Short Rib Sandwich | by Life Tastes Good - Father's Day Crown


Don, being the amazing father he is, proudly wore that crown out to breakfast and never took it off! We got lots of looks, but the only one that mattered was the look of happiness on Madison's face. That kid was beaming!! and Don wore that crown for many years every Father's Day. Madison hit the jackpot with such a great dad! Happy Father's Day hon! We love you!

Beef Short Rib Sandwich | by Life Tastes Good is piled high with beer braised beef, caramelized onions, and lots of melted Fontina cheese! #ManFood #SundaySupper


Beef Short Rib Sandwiches

Life Tastes Good
Published 06/15/2014
Beef Short Rib Sandwiches #SundaySupper

Ingredients

  • 2 pounds beef short ribs
  • 2 teaspoons kosher salt
  • 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
  • 1 onion, sliced
  • 1 tablespoon freshly minced garlic
  • 1 (14.9 ounce, approximately) can of Guinness
  • 1 teaspoon beef base
  • 1 cup of hot water
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • pinch of salt
  • 3 good sized yellow onions, sliced thinly
  • 4 slices of Fontina Cheese
  • 4 Kaiser Buns - butter each half and lightly toast under the broiler

Instructions

  1. Season the short ribs with 2 teaspoons kosher salt and 1 teaspoon ground black pepper. Dredge the seasoned ribs in the flour until lightly coated, shaking off excess.
  2. Heat a dutch oven over mid-high heat and add 1 tablespoon olive oil and 1 tablespoon butter. Allow the fat to heat up just a bit, but don't burn it. Then add the ribs in a single layer and brown on all sides. You might not be able to fit all of them into the pan at once. That's okay. Brown what you can on all sides and then remove the browned ribs and set aside until all ribs are nicely browned on all sides. This will take 4-5 minutes on each side to brown, but it is worth it. The browning definitely adds flavor.
  3. When all the ribs are browned, remove them from the pan and set aside. Reduce the heat to medium, and add the sliced onion and 1 tablespoon freshly minced garlic to the pan. Cook, stirring, for about minute and then pour in the can of beer. Stir, being sure to scrape all the browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Add 1 teaspoon beef base to 1 cup hot water and stir to combine. Pour the beef base mixture into the pan and stir, bringing to a gentle boil.
  4. Return the beef short ribs to the pan, cover and reduce heat. Allow the ribs to simmer until very tender - about 2 hours.
  5. If you'll be eating your short ribs sandwiches the same day, go ahead and start your caramelized onions. Heat a skillet over medium heat and melt 2 tablespoons butter. Add the sliced onions and a pinch of salt and stir, cooking, until they are tender. Reduce the heat to mid-low and continue to cook until the onions are a nice caramel color, stirring occasionally. This will take about 30-45 minutes depending on how high your heat is. I like to caramelize onions over a mid-low heat nice and slow. Once they are just the way you like them, give them a taste and add salt and pepper to your liking. Set aside.
  6. When the short ribs are fall-off-the-bone tender, go ahead and remove the bones and discard. You can store the beef in the sauce overnight and the flavors will intensify, but if you can't wait divide the beef among the four toasted buns and top with a spoonful of the sauce in which the ribs cooked. Then top with caramelized onions and a slice of Fontina Cheese. Pop the sandwich back under the broiler to melt the cheese and enjoy!
Yield: 4 Servings
Prep Time: 30 mins.
Cook time: 2 hrs. 00 mins
Total time: 2 hrs. 30 mins.

Tags: Beef, Short Ribs, Sandwich, Man Food, Sunday Supper, Caramelized Onions, Main, Entree

Recipe inspired by: allrecipes.com Simple Beef Short Ribs

74 comments:

  1. How sweet is the crown story? I love that he never took it off :) In other news, this sandwich looks ah-mazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww! That is so sweet! I love the photo of your husband and daughter. That is priceless! And that short rib sandwich looks AHHH-MAZ-ING! I have to try that. Thanks for sharing! Have a wonderful Father's Day Don!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, where has this marvelous sandwich been all my life?? Truly man food, but this gal would like some, too!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha Liz!! I'm with you! Men can't have all the yummies!! Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  4. Aren't dad's incredible. My husband walked all the way home with my daughter's sun hat on because she wanted him to wear it. This sandwich looks like a great way to say thank you for being awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwwww...that's awesome! They really are the best :). thanks for stopping by Laura!

      Delete
  5. Congrats on your first #sundaysupper post. Your sandwich is the woman behind the man, waiting for her chance at this delicious dish. YUM>

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marlene! I'm excited to be a part of this great group! :)

      Delete
  6. This sounds great! Definitely qualifies as man food in this guy's opinion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woohooo! Man approved! Thanks, David! Have a great week :)

      Delete
  7. I love the crown and I love that Don wore it all day! Awe. What a great story and a delicious looking recipe too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Drool, drool, drool, great Manwich!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha don't short you 'puter ;) !! Thanks for stopping by, Tara!!

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. that makes two of us! Thanks for stopping by, Sarah!

      Delete
  10. These look amazing! I saw them on Google+, and shared them on Facebook. Can't wait to try these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Leia! I'm happy you stopped by to let me know. Have a great week :)

      Delete
  11. Caramelized onions and fontina cheese...YUM! Even this non-meat eater can get on board with all the other delicious flavors you've got going on here. Oh, and your daughter is a very talented crown-maker :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha maybe she should put that on her resume ;) Thank you, Shaina!

      Delete
  12. I love the crown story! What a sweetie. And this short rib sandwich looks absolutely amazing! Pinning it for my family right now!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Short ribs, fontina, stout AND caramelized onions?!? This sandwich has all of the good things. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't agree more, Lori!! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  14. Short ribs, fontina and caramelized onions are beyond a favorite of mine. Who cares if the dad's want it…I DO!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I adore that photo! What a great memory! That there is a real dad. And that there is a real sandwich! I'd definitely scarf it down in a heartbeat.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The crown is priceless and this burger sounds divine! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is such a good memory! Thanks for stopping by Sherron!

      Delete
  17. I love short ribs and I totally just drooled all over my key board! What an amazing sandwich!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I was admiring that sandwich and drooling a little (ok, a lot) but then I teared up after reading that Don wore your daughter's crown all through breakfast. That's true love. My dad would immediately throw away all the stuff I made him when I was a kid. Let me comfort myself by imagining myself eating your incredible short rib sammich. Toasty bun, caramelized onions, fontina cheese and a stout braise?! Yes to all of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tear up too. It is such a good memory, and she is a lucky girl to have such a great dad. Thanks for stopping by!!

      Delete
  19. Yes, this is a drool-worthy sandwich. What a lucky guy that sat down in front of this dish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep telling him how lucky he is haha! Thanks for stopping by Alaiyo!

      Delete
  20. I really enjoy ribs but would rather not deal with the bone. PERFECT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bone can make a handy stick somethings, but with short ribs it usually just falls right off anyway haha! Thanks for stopping by Danielle!

      Delete
  21. This sandwich looks SO flippin' good!!! Plus, I love the crown and that he wore it all during breakfast. What a great dad!
    Renee - Kudos Kitchen

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your beef rib looks delicious, Marion! Oh and nice crown too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your husband is a father worthy of the name, Marion! I love that he wore the crown out and continues to wear it each year. I adore short ribs! The men would have some competition for this fabulous sandwich if I'm invited to the party. :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love the crown for the king of the day! I'd say Madison was blessed with two terrific parents...And doubly blessed that one of them can produce mouthwatering fare like this short rib sandwich!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwww.... thank you! You made my day with such kind words :)

      Delete
  25. Hi, love your site and this recipe looks amazing! My question is, can another beer be used for the stout? Or is it essential to the recipe? Perhaps the stout is not so prominent in the flavors after it cooks for a while. Please advise. Thanks for the great recipe, can't wait to try it even if I have to use the stout. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words! You can use any beer, but I encourage you to use the stout to produce the deep, rich flavor. I am not a beer drinker at all. I just don't like it, but using it in recipes is a whole different ball game. The flavor of the stout is subtle, but it does contribute a nice flavor that a regular beer would not impart. I'd love to know your thoughts if you give it a try with the stout or how it works if you try something else! Thanks so much for stopping by and have a super weekend ~Marion

      Delete
    2. Thanks for your quick response. I will definitely try it with the stout, and let you know what I think. I'm sure it will be fine, my husband just made a face over the stout part of the recipe, but as you said, in cooking the flavors are different, especially while simmering with other yummy ingredients! Thanks again, and wishing you a fabulous weekend!! ~ Theresa

      Delete
  26. Oh yes, short ribs are da bomb! What an awesome sandwich for the guys and us gals too.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh good gracious that looks good! I almost licked the screen!!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Made this last night for dinner. It was amazing! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by to let me know, Stacy! This comment makes my whole day! I am so happy you love it :) Have a super week!!
      ~Marion

      Delete
  29. I was up early this morning and was browsing food like I do when I'm bored. Once I came across this recipe, my browsing came to an abrupt stop. My life has a whole meaning to it now. This could possibly be the best sandwich ever!!! I can hardly wait until later. I WANT IT NOW!!! Thanks btw :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I pretty much feel the same way about this sandwich, Jeremy haha Thanks for stopping by today! I hope you get to enjoy this tasty treat soon! Have a super week ~Marion

      Delete
  30. Can this be done in a slow cooker?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Robert, yes, this can be done in the slow cooker. I recommend browning the ribs as directed and then place in slow cooker. Mix up the sauce in the same pan you browned the ribs, scraping up the browned bits and then pour it into the slow cooker with the ribs. Cook on low about 5 hours until the ribs are tender. Cook the caramelized onions in a skillet as directed. I hope that helps.

      Delete
  31. Omg this looks amazing! Our daughter will be home for the weekend to help make this fantastic recipe...will send dets later!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How wonderful your daughter will be home for the weekend! We miss our sweet girl terribly and can't wait to visit her in November! I hope everyone loves the sandwich as much as we do. Have a super weekend, Gilligan ~Marion

      Delete
  32. Had this sandwich for dinner tonight. I was a bit nervous because I tasted the "broth" after I had stirred everything together, and it wasn't so good. BUT...I put everything in my slow cooker, turned it to "low," and about five hours later...VOILA! This was scrumptious straight from the pot, even more so on toasted buttered rolls with Fontina. I served with a side of homemade cole slaw and quick fried sweet potato slices. YUM-O! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debbie, Thanks so much for letting me know. I'm so happy you enjoyed it!! The beer overpowers the broth until it cooks with the beef. The flavors all blend together well after being slow cooked. It's one of our faves! Glad it worked for you. Happy New Year!! ~Marion

      Delete
    2. Your website is very messy. I am looking for the California Club recipe and it is nowhere to be found despite where you tell me to look. I am very disappointed in your website.

      Delete
    3. Diana, I apologize you had a difficult time finding the California Club recipe and that you are "very disappointed" in my "messy" website. I'm not a huge money making site that has a whole team of people working behind the scenes. I'm a one-woman show trying to do it all. It is quite a lot of work, but I do enjoy what I'm doing. It's a hobby for me, so I don't have a lot of money to put into perfecting the site. I do, however, have a search function at the top of every page and in the drop down menu when you are viewing on mobile. I recommend using the search. It works quite well. Another thing you can use is a site called Google If you search "life tastes good california club' on Google it is likely to be the top result. Google is a wonderful resource I definitely recommend using to easily navigate the internet and find what you are looking for. Thank you for your comment. Have a super day ~Marion

      Delete
  33. This sandwich looks amazing! I just had one question: what size are the short ribs when you're browning them in the beginning? That is, are they already sliced thickly before you're starting to cook, or do you slice them just before assembling the sandwich, or at some point in between? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ben, I cook them with the bone in for maximum flavor. The beef will fall off the bone by the time it is ready and you can use the bones for another recipe or discard. I hope that helps. Thanks for stopping by ~Marion

      Delete
  34. I'm about to make these for the second time. We both loved it! Followed recipe exactly. The only thing I'm doing differently the second time is serving it on toasted onion buns. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  35. You’re too sweet to reply to negative Nellie’s - just keep doing what you do and spread your joy through your cooking, your amazing family and your wit :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words <3 That means so much to me!

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting and sharing your thoughts! Comments are moderated, so I don't miss anything. I like to read each and every one!

When you leave a comment on a blog post, please be aware that the comment is then public and visible to anyone who reads the comment section. Your email address is never shared or disclosed, but your name and comment will be visible to others. You may choose to leave your comment anonymously. It is highly recommended that you avoid leaving detailed personal information in your comments. For more information please read Life Tastes Good's Privacy Policy before leaving a comment > Life Tastes Good's Privacy Policy

I reserve the right to remove comments deemed as inappropriate, threatening, profane, or spammy without notice.

Thanks! I hope it's a great day!! ~Marion

>