Or is it? I have always wanted to love Key Lime Pies like most normal people in the world, but I just can't - I'm not normal. I have yet to meet a Key Lime Pie that is to my liking. Typically they are too tart and it makes my lips pucker and toes curl just thinking about it <shudder>!
I went out on a limb and gave this Avocado Lime Cheesecake a try because it had lots of good reviews on allrecipes.com, and, as I said before, I LOVE avocados! They are healthy and delish in everything, so why not?
Y'all I am SOOO glad I didn't turn my nose up to this one! Whoa Nelly this is a good pie or cheesecake - whatever you call it! This has the perfect lime flavor for which I have always wanted in the lime pies I have tried! I cannot detect the avocado at all. I can't decide if that is a good thing or not, but I can assure you when I need a refreshing dessert, this is the one I will turn to from here on out!
I would be cheating y'all if I didn't mention how awesome the graham cracker crust is too! It's super easy to make it yourself, so no need to buy one of the stale tasting pre-made ones. If I'm left alone with the crust I would eat it all and not have any left for the pie! It's really good and worth a little extra effort!! It's true!
This is really a frozen dessert which is the biggest drawback for me as I'm not a huge fan of super cold food, but I let it slide for this one because it tastes so good!! When I'm ready to serve this pie, I take it out of the freezer, slice it and plate it and then let it thaw a bit before serving. I like to slice it while it is still frozen so the crust doesn't separate from the filling and it just looks prettier too!
Avocado Lime Cheesecake Recipe
- 1 package graham crackers (enough to make 1 1/2 cups finely ground crumbs)
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons unsalted, softened butter
- 1 1/2 cups cream
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 ripe Haas avocados, pitted
- 6 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice
- pinch of salt
- In the bowl of a food processor , pulse a sleeve of graham crackers until finely ground. This should be about 1 1/2 cups. Add 1/3 cup sugar and 6 tablespoons softened butter and pulse until combined. Press graham cracker crumb mixture into an 8 or 9 inch pie plate and set aside.
- Heat 1 1/2 cups cream in a small saucepan until warmed, but not boiling. Add 3/4 cup sugar and stir until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Wipe out the bowl of the food processor , and add the meat of 1 1/2 avocados and 6 ounces cream cheese. Pulse to combine. Add 1/2 cup fresh lime juice and a pinch of salt and pulse until smooth. Add cooled cream mixture and pulse just to combine. Give it a taste and fall in love with the delicious flavor of this avocado/cream mixture!
- Pour avocado/cream cheese mixture into the prepared pie crust and smooth the top. Place in freezer for several hours or overnight. When ready to eat, remove from freezer and cut into servings. Garnish with lime zest if you like, and allow to thaw a bit before serving. Enjoy!
Prep Time: 30 mins.
Tags: dessert, frozen, avocado, lime, cheesecake, no bake, Mexican, Cinco De Mayo
recipe inspired by allrecipes.com Avocado Lime Cheesecake