These little egg and sausage muffins also make a great road trip breakfast. Don and I often take car trips to visit the kid in college, but we don't love eating at fast food places, ever! Making these breakfast muffins works great, because they are easy to pack and easy to eat! Just pop 'em and enjoy!
I can reheat these as we are heading out the door, and we can enjoy them in the car. I'm the pain-in-the-butt type that likes to stick to the schedule when we go on a road trip, so these help to save time in the mornings when Don is usually moving too slowly for me! I promise you that man always puts us behind schedule! Truthfully, we really don't ever have to be somewhere at an exact time, but dangit I made a plan and I want to stick to it!!
Sausage and Egg Muffin Recipe
- 6 links Johnsonville Original Breakfast Sausage
- 3 cups frozen hash brown potatoes, shredded and thawed
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 6 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup shredded Mexican blend cheese
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- chopped fresh green onions
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. and grease a 12 cup muffin tin. Prepare sausage according to package directions. Cool slightly and finely chop.
- In a bowl, combine 3 cups hash browns, 3 tablespoons melted butter, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Press potato mixture into sides and bottom of greased muffin cups.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for about 15 minutes until lightly browned. Remove from oven.
- While potato mixture is in the oven, combine 6 beaten eggs, 1 cup shredded cheese, 1/4 cup finely chopped red pepper, and the finely chopped sausage. Spoon the egg mixture evenly into the muffin cups filling the cups. Sprinkle with chopped green onions and return to the oven. Bake another 12-15 minutes until set. Enjoy!
Prep Time: 20 mins.
Total time: 50 mins.
Tags: Breakfast, Quiche, Muffin, Eggs, Reheat, Protein
recipe inspired by allrecipes.com Amazing Muffin Cups