I love, love, love how easy this is to make!! It's economical too! You can serve this entire meal to 4 for under $10! TOTAL!!
I paired this with Sauteed Garlic Spinach and Mashed Potatoes. When you have a delicious gravy like this, you really DO need to pair it with mashed potatoes. It's the right thing to do, but if you are watching your waistline you can just add a salad for a low carb alternative. Oh heck! Live a little and eat some mashed potatoes!! You're taste buds will love ya for it!
The onion gravy is really the star of this dinner. It takes a simple chopped steak to a whole new level and is super easy to make. You don't need to buy a gravy packet or canned soup either!! I promise!
Hamburger Steaks with Onion Gravy
- 1 pound ground chuck
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups sliced onions
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon beef base, such as Better Than Bouillon
- Combine beef with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Mix well and form into 4 patties. Heat a skillet over mid-high heat and then add a teaspoon of olive oil. Allow the oil to warm and then add the hamburger patties. Cook 3 minutes without moving so they get nice and seared and then flip them over and cook 3 minutes more to sear the other side. Remove from skillet and set aside.
- Add 1 teaspoon oil to the pan if needed and then saute sliced onions for about 3 minutes until they start to brown. Sprinkle onions with 2 teaspoons flour and stir for about 30 seconds. Add 1 cup water and 1 teaspoon beef base to the skillet and stir to combine.
- Return the beef patties to the skillet, cover partially and cook 5 minutes until the gravy thickens slightly. Serve beef steaks over mashed potatoes and spinach with the onion gravy. Enjoy!
Prep Time: 10 mins.
Total time: 20 mins.
Tags: hamburger, steaks, onion, gravy, dinner, beef
recipe inspired by Hamburger Steak with Onion Gravy