This Thick Crust Pizza recipe is a slam dunk for your March Madness parties! The pizza crust is thick and buttery, and with the Gourmet Grillware Casserole/Baker you can make your pizza on the grill and serve it right from the gorgeous pan! How awesome is that?! Pizza tailgating party anyone?!!
Wilton Armetale sent me the Baker to try, and it did a great job on this pizza crust! I was pleasantly surprised when the crust came out thick, crisp and delicious, and I loved being able to take it from the oven to the table all in one pan! Perfect!
The Grillware Casserole/Baker is super versatile! You can use it on the grill, in the oven, and even on your stove-top! It will keep hot foods hot and cold foods cold longer. Like most quality cookware, this is not dishwasher or microwave safe, but I can assure you clean-up is a breeze with some soapy water! The pizza crust slid right out of the pan-no sticking whatsoever! I love how durable and lightweight it is, and with the lifetime warranty, I don't have to worry about breaking it!
Thick Crust Pizza
- 2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 cup warm water (110-115 degrees F)
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup corn oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 cups shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- Sliced fresh mushrooms (I used about 4 ounces)
- 1 onion thinly sliced
- fresh chopped basil
- 2 1/2 cups Red Sauce (or 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes, drained)
- Dissolve 2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast and 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar in 1 cup of warm water. NOTE: This recipe is designed for a more humid climate, so I reduce the water a bit. If you don't humidity concerns then use 1 1/8 cups water. Let stand for about 5 minutes to proof. I should be foamy when ready. If it doesn't foam then then either the yeast was bad or your water was too hot or too cold and you will have to start over as your dough won't rise if you use this yeast (sorry).
- Combine yeast mixture with 3 cups all-purpose flour, 1/2 cup corn oil, and 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt in a stand mixer with a hook attachment. Knead just a couple of minutes until the dough holds together. You can mix by hand as well if you don't have a stand mixer and then knead the dough on a lightly floured surface. The dough will be a slightly sticky and that's okay.
- Shape the dough into a ball and place in a buttered bowl, turning to coat. Cover bowl with a towel and place in your cold oven with the light on. Allow to rise for at least an hour or until doubled in size.
- When dough is doubled in size, punch down dough to remove the air bubbles and let rest for about 10 minutes.
- Lightly grease the bottom of your casserole/baker with corn oil and press the dough evenly into the pan being sure you press it at least halfway up the sides of the pan. Cover the pan and place in your cold oven with the light on once again. Allow to rise another 30-40 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 450 degrees F. You can also cook this on the grill! It will add a delicious smoky flavor and is the best way to eat pizza!
- Top the dough in this order: 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, be sure to lightly press the cheese into the dough, 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil, 2 1/2 cups Red Sauce, sliced mushrooms to cover the top, and thinly sliced onions to cover the top. If you add meat toppings such as pepperoni or cooked sausage, be sure to add them on top of the cheese, before adding the sauce.
- Grill or bake pizza for 30-40 minutes until the crust is crisp on the outside. Mine baked for 40 minutes and came out perfectly crisp on the outside and soft and delicious on the inside!
Prep Time: 2 hrs. 00 mins.
Total time: 2 hrs. 40 mins.
Recipe inspired by allrecipes.com The Real Chicago Deep Dish Pizza Dough
And you don't want to miss The Life and Loves Of Grumpy's Honeybunch!! Shelby has yet another chance to win the casserole/baker and she baked up these decadent S'mores Brownies for a sweet treat that will more than satisfy your chocolate cravings during the championships and all year long!!
- Giveaway ends March 22nd at 11:59 PM EST.
- Open to Residents of the US only.
- Prizes cannot be shipped to PO Boxes.
- Winner will be selected by Random and be notified by email and will have 48 hours to respond before a new winner is selected.
a Rafflecopter giveaway