Don and I gobbled it all up in one meal!! Next time I'll have to make double the recipe to have some yummy leftovers!! I can see this being fabulous over rice!
This recipe was inspired by Mazola's Pork Carnitas with Cilantro Tomatillo Sauce on allrecipes.com. Mazola® understands the importance of a healthy lifestyle. A healthy diet reduces the risk of heart disease and stroke, and with delicious recipes like this one, eating for your health doesn't mean you have to give up flavor!! Check out more of Mazola's heart healthy recipes on allrecipes.com.
Mexican Pork Carnitas
- 1 pound Pork Tenderloin, cut into bite sized pieces
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1/4 cup chopped onions
- 1 tablespoon freshly minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon Chili Powder
- 1 teaspoon chicken base. I use Better Than Bouillon
- 2 tomatillos, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly minced garlic
- pinch of salt
- 4 flour tortillas
- Sour Cream
- Sliced avocado
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over mid-high heat. Season the pork pieces with salt and pepper and place into the oil in a single layer. Allow the pork to sear for about 2-3 minutes. Don't disturb it. You want it to get a nice sear. Turn pork over and sear on other side in the same manner.
- Once the pork is nicely seared, reduce heat to medium and add onions, garlic, and chili powder and stir to combine.
- Add enough water to just cover the pork. I used about a cup of water, but the amount you will use will depend on the size of your skillet.
- Add one teaspoon chicken base and stir to combine. Bring this mixture to a boil, cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 30 minutes. Then remove lid and simmer for about 45 minutes more or until the liquid has evaporated.
- While the pork is simmering, combine 2 chopped tomatillos, 1/2 cup chopped tomatoes, 1/2 teaspoon freshly minced garlic, 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro, and a pinch of salt in a bowl. Give it a taste and adjust the seasonings as needed to suit your tastes. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- When the liquid has evaporated, divide the pork evenly on the 4 flour tortillas and top each with the tomatillo salsa. Garnish with sour cream and avocado slices and enjoy!
Prep Time: 00:20
Cook time: 01:20
Total time: 01:40
I participated in a campaign on behalf of Mazola®. I received a sample to facilitate my review as well as a promotional item as a thank-you for participating.