In addition to fresh mushrooms, I like to use beef base instead of broth. Because it is not possible for me to always have homemade stock on hand, I use Better Than Bouillon Bases in place of broth and stock in all my dishes! I love the stuff and keep many different flavors on hand. The beef base contributes a richer and more natural flavor to my Beef Stroganoff. I cannot achieve this using a store bought beef stock or broth.
It also takes up much less room in the fridge, and I don't have to worry about any unused portions going to waste! I like that! I use just what I need and pop the cap back on for next time!
Delicious Beef Stroganoff
- 1.5 pounds beef chuck roast, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 stick of butter
- 1/2 tablespoon freshly minced garlic
- 8 ounce package fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 4 green onions, sliced (white part only. Dice the green part and save for garnish)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon Better Than Bouillon Beef Base
- 1 1/4 cups hot water
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup white wine (I use Sake, because I like the flavor it imparts in cooking)
- 1 tablespoon corn starch (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 16 ounces wide egg noodles, cooked according to directions on package
- When purchasing your chuck roast, look for a well marbled piece of meat. I purchased a 3 lb chuck roast and cut it into bite sized pieces. I froze half of it for later use. When cutting it up, you can trim any excess fat and try to keep the pieces uniform in size.
- Season the meat with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper.
- Heat a large skillet over mid high heat and melt 1 stick of butter and brown the meat. It won't take long as you are not trying to fully cook the meat. You just want to brown it. Remove the meat and reserve (leave the liquid in the pan).
- Add chopped onions, 1/2 tablespoon minced garlic, and mushrooms to the skillet and enjoy the wonderful aroma!! Cook over medium heat until the mushrooms soften.
- Heat 1 1/4 cups water and stir in 1 teaspoon beef base and 2 tablespoons flour until dissolved. Return the beef to the skillet and add the beef base liquid. Stir constantly and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, cover, and let simmer for an hour or until the meat is tender.
- About 15 minutes before the beef/mushroom mixture is ready to go, prepare your noodles according to package directions. Drain and set aside until ready to use.
- Dissolve 1 tablespoon cornstarch in 1/2 cup white wine and add it to the beef/mushroom mixture along with 1/3 cup sour cream and stir to combine (only use the cornstarch if you would like the sauce to be thicker). Bring to a slow boil, stirring constantly for a couple minutes. Give it a taste and adjust the seasonings as needed. Serve over noodles. Garnish with diced green onions and enjoy!!
Prep Time: 00:15
Cook time: 01:15
recipe inspired by: allrecipes.com Beef Stroganoff III