Jan 22, 2014

New York Crumb Cake

New York Style Crumb Cake is one of my favorite sweet treats!! It is sweet, crumby and tasty. I LOVE the crumb topping!! And this recipe for Crumb Cake does not scrimp on the crumbs!

Madison and I went to the Cake Boss bakery in Hoboken, NJ a few years back. They are known for their crumb cake (among other things haha), so we had to try it, of course! Turns out Madison likes the cake part, so we made a good crumb cake-eating pair. She ate the bottom and I ate the crumb topping. Everyone was happy! Win-win

With our girl being several hours away at college, we end up texting a lot. Last night, she was catching us up on her day and mentioned she got recruited into the sculpture club! Seeing as she is a graphic design/advertising major that was a little surprising. This quarter for one of her electives she decided to take a glass sculpture class and turns out she is pretty good. She made some hippos and everyone loves them...

Her classmates want her to enter them into some kind of sculpture show. I can't wait to see these hippos!! Then she mentioned she was working on a project for her Type class and the professor wasn't going to like it, because he doesn't like anything haha. So I texted back "Show him your hips!!" and as soon as I hit send I started yelling at the phone "NO!!!! I said hippos!!! Hipp-ooooooos!! You are supposed to be a smart phone!!!" Mother of the year right there! You want a good grade show 'em your hips! Works every time! haha Luckily she is a smart kid and is used to my so-called smart phone.


New York Crumb Cake

Life Tastes Good
Published 01/22/2014
New York Crumb Cake

Ingredients

  • 2 tablespoons canola oil
  • 4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 2.5 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 large egg
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 cup packed light brown sugar
  • 1.5 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter, chilled and diced
  • Powdered sugar for dusting

Instructions

  1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease and flour 9x13" baking dish.
  2. In a medium bowl combine 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, 1/2 cup sugar, 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Set aside.
  3. In a separate bowl, whisk together 1 egg, 1/2 cup milk, 2 tablespoons canola oil, and 2 teaspoons vanilla extract.
  4. Using a rubber spatula, fold dry ingredients into wet until just combined. Spread batter evenly into prepared pan and set aside. It spreads a thin layer of batter into the pan, so don't be surprised by that. It will rise nicely!
  5. In the bowl of a food processor, combine 2 1/2 cups flour, 1 cup packed light brown sugar, and 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon. Add the diced butter and process until it looks like coarse crumbs. Sprinkle the crumbs over the batter in the baking dish.
  6. Place pan on middle oven rack and back for 12-15 minutes. Rotate pan and bake 12-15 minutes more until cake tester comes out clean. Total cook time for me was right at 30 minutes. Keep in mind that ovens vary, so adjust cook time as needed.
  7. Cool pan on a wire rack. When cooled, dust with powdered sugar and enjoy!
Yield: 24 servings
Prep Time: 00:15
Cook time: 00:30

8 comments:

  1. HI Marion, I've made several coffee cakes this past year, but your cake is the one I think I'm really looking for. I will give it a try. Thanks for sharing the recipe. Pinned/shared.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joanne! This is my favorite crumb cake!! I hope you like it. Thanks for pinning and sharing!! Have a great week ~Marion

      Delete
  2. Who needs Entemann's with this recipe. I love crumb cake and this looks about perfect,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Big ShotsMom!! Oh definitely better than store bought!! This makes up quickly and easily, tastes better, and costs less too! I hope you have a chance to give it a try!! Have a great weekend ~Marion

      Delete
  3. This looks yummy, Marion. I am going to make it soon!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tina!! It didn't last long around here! I sure hope you like it! Say hi to Alicia for me :) I hope all is well

      Delete
  4. LOL...about the smart phone! You must be so proud of Madison!! I'm with you on the crumb topping! When Nicole lived in NYC, there was a cake boss store just up the street from her....always so busy! I wanted to stop in, but didn't want to wait. I'm sure I would have chose the crumb cake if I it had ever been NOT busy! I need to make your version soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know they had a store in the city!! They do have good crumb cake, but this one can go up against it haha! Thanks for stopping in, Renee! Have a super day ~Marion

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting and sharing your thoughts! Comments are moderated, so I don't miss anything. I like to read each and every one!

When you leave a comment on a blog post, please be aware that the comment is then public and visible to anyone who reads the comment section. Your email address is never shared or disclosed, but your name and comment will be visible to others. You may choose to leave your comment anonymously. It is highly recommended that you avoid leaving detailed personal information in your comments. For more information please read Life Tastes Good's Privacy Policy before leaving a comment > Life Tastes Good's Privacy Policy

I reserve the right to remove comments deemed as inappropriate, threatening, profane, or spammy without notice.

Thanks! I hope it's a great day!! ~Marion

>