I found it! This is The Ultimate Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe of my dreams!! It is chewy with just the right amount of crunch, and the flavor is perfect! Did you hear that? Purrr-fect!!
I thought my search was over when I made the Awesome Chocolate Chip Cookies, but I was wrong :( I never would have strayed from that recipe, but I ran out of all-purpose flour one day when we had a hankering for cookies! Wait? What? How do you run out of all-purpose flour? I don't know, but it happened. It must have been fate!
We were so desperate for some homemade deliciousness I googled making cookies with bread flour. We are serious when we get a craving! Bread flour? That's crazy, right? I know! That's exactly what I thought, but we had a cookie itch that needed to be scratched! In my google travels, I found Alton Brown's Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe that uses, of all things, bread flour...
I didn't have high hopes for these cookies because of the bread flour and almost no white sugar. This went against everything I knew about chocolate chip cookie baking! But, again, we needed our cookie fix!!
These cookies are chewy, buttery, chocolaty, and smooth! Yes, smoooooth. I never realized until that moment the other chocolate chip cookies I've been eating were gritty and waaayyyy too sweet. I love that these cookies are still delicious the next day too! That's important to me, although, I doubt these will ever make it to see morning in our house...
The Ultimate Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, melted
- 2.5 cups bread flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 4.5 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- 1.5 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 12 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- In a large mixing bowl, add 2.5 cups bread flour, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1 teaspoon baking soda. Whisk to combine and set aside.
- Melt 2 sticks of butter on the stove-top or in the microwave. Combine 2 sticks melted butter, 4.5 tablespoons sugar, and 1 cup packed brown sugar in the bowl of a food processor and pulse until mixed well. Or use a mixer.
- With the food processor running, add in 1 large egg, 1 large egg yolk, 2 tablespoons buttermilk, and 1.5 teaspoons vanilla. Turn off food processor after last addition.
- Add the sugar/butter mixture to the flour mixture and stir by hand just until combined.
- Fold in 12 ounces of semi-sweet chocolate chips until incorporated throughout the dough.
- Now here is the hard part...chill the dough in the fridge for at least an hour, but overnight is better. I compromise and chill the dough until after dinner and then I make 1 tray (about 9 cookies) for that night. The rest of the dough goes back in the fridge overnight.
- When ready to bake your cookies, preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Using a cookie dough scoop or a full tablespoon, scoop dough onto parchment lined baking sheet. Bake in oven for 10-12 minutes or until your cookies are golden brown. Let cool on tray for a minute or 2 and then transfer to a wire cooling rack. Enjoy!
- TIP: This dough will keep in the fridge. I like to make just what we'll eat because chocolate chip cookies are best nice and warm and fresh out of the oven! It is quick and easy to scoop some dough on the cookie sheet and pop it in the oven when you take dinner out. That way you'll be enjoying the ooey gooey deliciousness all night long.
- Freezer tip: I like to make up a batch of these and scoop them onto the parchment lined cookie tray and place in the freezer until firm. Then I store them in a zip top bag in the freezer. When ready for cookies, I remove just as many dough balls as needed and place them on a parchment lined cookie sheet. I usually let them thaw a bit and then bake them in the oven at 375 until golden brown. This dough freezes great!!
Prep Time: 15 mins.
Total time: 25 mins.
Tags: Chocolate Chip Cookie, Alton Brown, Recipe, Dessert, Snack, Cookies, Sweets, Chocolate, Dough, Freezer