Pumpkin Lobster Mac and Cheese sounds like a strange combo, but I'm here to tell you it works! I was skeptical - Don was skeptical, but we both loved it-for real, and everyone was jealous when he took it for lunch the next day! This mac and cheese is some serious yum! Even if you lose the lobster to save some $$$, the pumpkin and cheese combo is a winner!
Using mascarpone cheese gives this a creaminess that can't be beat, and the taste is divine. My favorite mac and cheese ever! Don't let the ingredient list intimidate you. This is pretty quick and easy to make and definitely worth all the glorious fat and calories.
You can fix this recipe to your liking. I like it right off the stove-top for maximum creaminess, but if you prefer a baked mac and cheese you can do that too. It's up to you!
- 1 (16 ounce) package uncooked spiral pasta
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot (or onion)
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1 (8 ounce) container mascarpone cheese
- 1 (8 ounce) package shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup canned pumpkin puree
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 pinch garlic powder, to taste
- 1 pinch paprika, to taste
- 3-4 dashes Sriracha or other hot sauce, to taste
- 1 lb cooked lobster tail meat, chopped
- 1 (12 ounce) package frozen green peas
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs (optional)
- 1/3 cup shredded Parmesan Cheese (optional)
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted (optional)
- Cook pasta as directed. Drain and set aside.
- If you like a baked mac and cheese preheat oven to 375 degrees F. and grease a 9x13" casserole dish.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a skillet and cook shallot until lightly browned.
- Whisk 1 tablespoon flour into butter and shallot to form a paste
- Slowly whisk 12 ounce can of evaporated milk into flour mixture and simmer until thickened.
- Add 8 ounce package of shredded cheddar cheese and 8 ounce container of mascarpone cheese and stir until melted into sauce.
- Stir in 1 cup of pumpkin puree, a pinch of garlic powder, a pinch of paprika, and 3-4 dashes of Sriracha into the sauce. Be sure to taste after each addition and add more if needed.
- Gently mix in 1 lb lobster meat, 12 ounce peas, and the cooked pasta and cook until heated through. If you like a creamy mac and cheese you can eat it just like this right off the stove-top.
- For baked mac and cheese, transfer pasta mixture into prepared casserole dish and top with 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs, 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese, and 2 tablespoons melted butter. Bake in preheated oven for about 30 minutes until top is slightly browned.
Recipe inspired by allrecipes.com Pumpkin Lobster Mac and Cheese