I have tried several different variations trying to come up with just the right flavor that will pair nicely with a creamy grilled cheese sandwich, and I have finally got it!
Not only is it the perfect flavor for which I've been searching, but it is also super easy to make! and it doesn't have cream in it, so it is low calorie too! WOOHOO! I do believe it is the perfect tomato soup recipe!
The hubs wasn't as 'in love' with this soup as I (which is fine - more for ME). He thinks there might be too much basil for him. This makes sense - I LOVE basil! If I was this much of a foodie when Madison was born - she just might be named Basil :). Anyhoo, there is not an overwhelming basil flavor imo, but there isn't an overwhelming tomato flavor either (which is what I was going for). So be aware of that and, as always, taste and adjust the flavors to your liking. For those who are not doing the cooking (AKA - The Hubs)...well, you'll just have to adjust your tastes to the one whose doing all the work! hahaha
Tomato Basil Soup
- 4 tablespoons olive oil (use a good olive oil - I like the Lucini Brand)
- 10 plum tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup white onion, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 fresh thyme sprigs - remove leaves and discard stalk
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup fresh basil, chiffonade
- 2-3 cups water
- 1 tablespoon chicken base such as Better Than Bouillon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Combine the tomatoes, 1 cup sliced onion, and 3 garlic cloves, chopped, in a mixing bowl and toss in 4 tablespoons olive oil to coat the veggies. Line a baking sheet with foil (I like to double line it for easier clean up). Place tomato mixture on baking sheet in a single layer. Sprinkle 1 teaspoon sugar, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, chiffonade leaves from 2 bunches of fresh basil and leaves from 2 fresh thyme sprigs - making sure to get some on each tomato. Marvel at how beautiful it is! I wish I had gotten a picture - anything this beautiful has to taste good!
- Roast in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes until caramelized. Mix 3 cups water and 1 tablespoon chicken base and heat the stock in the microwave. Pour the roasted veggies into a blender and puree. Add 2 cups of the heated stock into the blender and continue to puree until smooth. Add more stock as needed for desired consistency. I ended up using about 2 cups. Give it a taste and adjust seasonings to your liking. Cook up some grilled cheese sammiches and enjoy this delicious meal!!
Prep Time: 15 mins.
Total time: 40 mins.
Tags: Tomato, Basil, Soup, Lunch, Dinner, Healthy