Hot Mexican Dip

Are you ready for some FOOTBALL?!



I've been making this recipe for years! I don't remember where I found the original recipe, but we have adapted it over the years to what it is today.

This is our goto Sunday football food!  

Every year we look forward to football season, so we can eat....er cheer on our favorite team - The Miami Dolphins!  

Don't judge! We know they stink, but we've been rooting for them for years. We can't just jump ship because they are in a slump! In happier times they were awesome, and they will overcome this losing streak...hopefully...fingers crossed...praying...

You really can't make fun of the only team in NFL history to have a Perfect Season, now can you? ....well you shouldn't, anyway!

Madison has been sharing our love of mexican dip..oops I mean football for quite some time now. When she was very little and would hear anything about the Miami Dolphins on TV, she would always yell for me, "Mommy, come quick, Your-Ami Dolphins are on TV!!" hahaha it took me minute, but I finally realized what she was saying. What can I say - she's super smart and I'm... well, let's just say I'm a little slow.  One time Dad said something about the MY-ami Dolphins and she corrected him - "No, Daddy, they aren't Your-Ami Dolphins, they are Mommy's-Ami Dolphins!"  (heehee I was her fave at one time!) She was so cute! 
Too bad she had to grow up!  love you, Mads.

Before she left for college, we spent nearly every Sunday together watching the tube with our big dish of hot mexican dip on the coffee table.  We'd set it up real nice with a towel underneath for spills...not that we ever needed that! NO! Never! We'd have sour cream, freshly made guacamole, and a big bag of tortilla chips with LOTS of paper towels to clean up the messes the dog didn't get to first.  
It was a family affair! Good times!


So, in honor of pre-season, here is the recipe for our favorite football food...

Ingredients
32 oz Old El Paso Traditional style refried beans (I think it is 32 ounces - it's the big size)
2-3 tablespoons (more or less - to taste) pickled jalapenos, chopped
1 large onion
1 lb ground round (I also like to sub-in Italian sausage sometimes, or go 1/2 beef and 1/2 sausage - yummm)
2 cups shredded mexican cheese (I switch it up. Sometimes I use jack/cheddar or colby/jack...pick your fave)
8 ounces salsa (I usually just buy the Publix brand medium heat salsa for this recipe)
tomatoes
cilantro
salt & pepper

Directions
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F.  
In a skillet brown the ground beef with the onion until cooked through. Drain.  Meanwhile, grease a 13x9" baking dish and spread the refried beans evenly in the pan. Top the beans with the chopped jalapenos. Then top with the meat/onion mixture, followed by the salsa. The cheese goes atop it all, and then pop it in the oven for about 20-30 minutes, or until bubbly and the cheese is melted. This next step is very important, so pay attention!!  LET IT REST for at least 10 minutes! Set the timer so you get a full 10 minutes! I know it looks yummy and you want to dig right in, but DON'T TOUCH IT!!  While you are waiting you can busy your hands by chopping up a tomato or two for topping. I also chop up some cilantro and throw it on top - yummmm!  If that doesn't occupy the entire 10 minutes - go ahead and get the table ready. If you are watching this in front of a tv, you'll want to protect your table. I usually throw a big towel or use several placemats on the table. Then on top of that I put some of those hot pads to protect the table from the hot dish. You can use trivets - anything that will absorb all the heat from the dish and protect the surface of the table.  You'll want to get the sour cream and guacamole and set those out with spoons. Be sure to have lots of napkins or paper towels on hand too! Don't forget the chips!!  By now the 10 minutes should be up, so top the dip with the chopped tomatoes and cilantro and ENJOY!  Go Dolphins!

Update: I made homemade refried beans and used them in this recipe. They are sooo good! I doubt I'll be buying canned refried beans ever again!  These are easy to make in the slow cooker! Check out the recipe on allrecipes.com  I didn't get a picture because, let's face it, refried beans just aren't photogenic...ever!


2 comments:

  1. Hot dayum! I am not ready for football....But that dip can live on my coffee table ANYDAY! Hungry now!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting and sharing your thoughts! Comments are moderated, so I don't miss anything. I like to read each and every one! Please understand I am not able to allow comments with links. Thanks! I hope it's a great day!! ~Marion

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger... >