Jun 7, 2012

June 7th - June 13th


Another busy week! We enjoyed having Madison home for a couple of days. She even went furniture shopping with me! She is going to take our current sofa set in our family room to college with her in the fall, so I need to redecorate that room and soon! I did find a set I liked well enough, but we tried to pick fabric colors and struck out! I guess we'll have to keep looking - just couldn't decide. It is a big purchase, and I want to be sure. 

Madison went back to Savannah on Tuesday and stayed the night with a friend before getting back on the road Wednesday morning. She started out early to make her way to TN for her apprenticeship, but she only got a little over 1/2 way when the charge light came on! So much for having it checked out here at home by a shop before she left for the trip! Being the smart girl she is, she pulled off the highway and parked to call her dad. Don determined it was most likely the alternator, so we had to find a repair shop who had the part and could do the work that same day. 

Fortunately, we were able to find something very close and she was back on the road several hours and several hundred $$$ later (ugh!).  She did finally make it to her destination around 9:30pm (about 6 hours later than what she had planned!).  It was quite stressful being so far away, but I'm so happy we were able to get it repaired and she made it safely. Now I can relax for a few days until she's back on the road for home. Looking forward to her being home another couple days before she heads to Canada for 6 weeks! Don't worry - the car is staying home! She will be flying!



Thursday - Eye of Round Roast with a salad.  This will be the first time for me making this recipe, so I'm a little skeptical, but will report back with how it turns out. I won't leave it in the oven as long as the recipe states as I think a roast should be taken out about 120-125 degrees for mid rare and that's how we like 'em, so I will check the temp at about 1 hour 30 mins to 2 hours - somewhere in there.  I will most likely season this with a paste of olive oil, minced garlic, fresh thyme, salt, and pepper as well. Eye of Round is on sale, so this is a great time to try this recipe! If you end up making this, please report back and let me know how it turned out for you!
Friday - Spicy Garlic Lime Chicken with a salad. I did make some changes to the recipe as follows: I used fresh garlic, thyme and parsley - if you don't have the fresh stuff, go ahead and used dried. I also add a tbsp of tequila with the lime juice, and if your chicken breasts are thick you will have to cook it a little longer after adding the lime & tequila (about 10 mins instead of 5 as the recipe suggests). No worries though as that helps the sauce to reduce down to a very nice flavorful glaze.
Saturday - Slow Cooked Chili I know it is really hot out, but we do love chili and the sausage I like to use in this chili is on sale.  Here are the changes I make to the recipe:  I use 2lbs Publix mild Italian sausage. I use 2 cans of tomato sauce and 3 cans of diced tomatoes because I like it more saucy. I always buy the tomatoes and sauce with the basil, garlic, and oregano flavor as well. And because I LOVE garlic, I usually throw in some extra cloves.  When using a slow cooker I like to buy those slow cooker liners you can get in the grocery store where you find the foil and saran wrap. I use those to make clean up a SNAP!
Sunday - Chicken Milano - this is a new recipe for me, but it sounds really good. I will report back on how it turns out.
Monday - Wednesday - I will have lots of leftovers at this point, so in an effort not to waste anything we will be enjoying leftovers on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. Sometimes I fit in the leftovers on other nights if I have a day where I'm not able to make my planned meal for whatever reason, so working in leftover nights is always a good idea when menu planning.

Produce
Lime Juice
(2) Onions - medium
(1) Green Pepper
Garlic
Fresh Basil
2 bags of Salad

Dairy
Butter
Shredded Cheddar Cheese
Sour Cream (If you like for the chili)
Heavy Cream (at least 1 cup)

Canned Food
(2) 16oz canned Kidney Beans (I prefer the light colored beans)
(3) 14.5oz cans Diced Tomatoes (I always use the garlic, basil and oregano flavored tomatoes) Hunt's tomatoes are BOGO sale at Publix this week
(2) 8oz cans Tomato Sauce (garlic, basil and oregano flavor is what I use)
Chicken Broth (at least 1 cup or if you have chicken base you can sub that with 1 cup water)

Extras
Extra Virgin, First Cold Pressed Olive Oil
Vegetable Oil
1/2 cup Sundried Tomatoes
8oz Fettuccine Pasta
Salad Dressing if needed
Slow Cooker Liners

Spices
Salt
Pepper
Cayenne Pepper
Paprika
Onion Powder
Thyme (dried or fresh - whichever you prefer)
Parsley (dried or fresh - whichever you prefer)
Chili Powder

Meat
3 lb Beef Eye of Round Roast (On sale for $3.99/lb at Publix)
6-8 boneless, skinless Chicken Breasts (on sale for $2.99/lb at Publix)
1.5 to 2 lbs Publix Mild Italian Sausage (on sale for $3.99/lb at Publix)

Extra Stuff I need on my list
Pineapples (on sale already peeled and cored for $2.99 each)
Mountain Dew (Pepsi products are buy 2 get 1 free)
Ice
Bread
Eggs











    •  







No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for visiting and sharing your thoughts! Comments are moderated, so I don't miss anything. I like to read each and every one!

When you leave a comment on a blog post, please be aware that the comment is then public and visible to anyone who reads the comment section. Your email address is never shared or disclosed, but your name and comment will be visible to others. You may choose to leave your comment anonymously. It is highly recommended that you avoid leaving detailed personal information in your comments. For more information please read Life Tastes Good's Privacy Policy before leaving a comment > Life Tastes Good's Privacy Policy

I reserve the right to remove comments deemed as inappropriate, threatening, profane, or spammy without notice.

Thanks! I hope it's a great day!! ~Marion

>