Before Madison went off to college, we had a going away party for her. She was leaving early for pre-season with the equestrian team, so we wanted to make sure she got to say to goodbye to everyone before she left. Her team colors are black and yellow, so that was the theme of the party.
I made these Lemon Cupcakes for the yellow part of the dessert table. They looked great on the table and everyone raved about them. Who doesn't love a good lemon cupcake??
Today, I made these cupcakes again for the hospital staff caring for my father-in-law. He has been in the hospital for a few days and they are taking such good care of him. The staff work so hard, I wanted to do something for them to show them how much we appreciate all their kindness. Plus, it's a good idea to be nice to the people who are watching over your loved one. The doctors and nurses will remember it and many times will give a little extra care and attention. These cupcakes sure got my father-in-law some extra visitors! Many of the staff on the floor stopped in to say thank you and that put a smile on his face! And now they call me the 'Cupcake Lady' on the 5th floor of our hospital :o)
Lemon Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 box lemon cake mix
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3/4 cup oil
- 4 eggs
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 small box lemon instant pudding mix
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F and line muffin tins with cupcake liners. This recipes makes about 24 regular cupcakes.
- Using your mixer, combine 1 cup sour cream, 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice, 1/2 cup milk, 3/4 cup oil in a large bowl. Add (4) eggs one at a time until fully incorporated. Add zest of 1 lemon, cake mix, and 1 small box of lemon instant pudding mix slowly while mixing until combined. Fill cupcake liners 2/3 full and bake for 20-25 minutes or until the tops bounce back when lightly pressed.
- Beat 8 ounces cream cheese and 1/2 cup unsalted butter until light and fluffy. Add 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar slowly. Then add 1/4 cup sour cream, 1 tablespoon honey, and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract and beat well. Add in more powdered sugar if needed to achieve the desired consistency. Give it a taste and adjust flavors as needed.
Prep Time: 10 mins.
Total time: 30 mins.
recipe source: Your Cup of Cake Mini Lemon Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting